• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (5 Viewers)

With only 5 days left before the end of this trip, I have decided to put the year list up.

As I have mentioned (moaned about) previously, it has been a difficult year. The main cause of that was the spring that never sprang. From that point, I was always playing catch up. A very good autumn has helped considerably, but unless something dramatic happens in the next few days, my total species count for the year is my lowest since I started listing here in 2016. My year totals, including the provisional total for this year, are as follows.

2016 - 48
2017 - 54
2018 - 46
2019 - 45
2020 - 45
2021 - 43

There are possibly other contributing factors to this years low. The platform no longer produces oil, as we are in a decommissioning phase. That means that we no longer put large amounts of heated seawater back to sea, or have the large amounts of heated air from turbines. This I feel has made the platform less attractive to birds, especially in the winter when they cashed on on the free heat.
Also, there are fewer people on board, so I get fewer reports, that coupled with a change in my job role that has left me more tied down in the control room, means we have probably missed a few more birds than normal.

Going forward, I will be remaining here for a few years, so there will be a few more attempts to exceed the year of 2017, although there will be major changes on the platform, that I am hoping will help with seeing more birds, but I'll explain about that in the next few days.

All that said, it is still a decent list, with at least 2 new additions to the all time species list (I'll update that at a later date).

Bird of the year, I think it is safe to say that Gadwall takes that one. A true North Sea mega. ;)

So to the list....

2021 Platform List
  1. Great Black-backed Gull
  2. Herring Gull
  3. Kittiwake
  4. Guillemot
  5. Fulmar
  6. Gannet
  7. Starling
  8. Eider
  9. Common Gull
  10. Robin
  11. Chiffchaff
  12. Kestrel
  13. Blackcap
  14. Carrion Crow
  15. Swallow
  16. Stonechat
  17. Wheatear
  18. Short-eared Owl
  19. House Martin
  20. Siskin (d)
  21. Collared Dove
  22. Great Skua
  23. Black Headed Gull
  24. Common Scoter
  25. Cormorant
  26. Grey Heron*
  27. Hooded Crow
  28. Sparrowhawk
  29. Gadwall
  30. Meadow Pipit
  31. Pied Flycatcher
  32. Pied Wagtail
  33. Oystercatcher
  34. Peregrine
  35. Brambling
  36. Redwing
  37. Wood Pigeon
  38. Blackbird
  39. Long-Tailed Duck
  40. Storm Petrel
  41. Chaffinch
  42. Water Rail
  43. Fieldfare
And I should mention the one unidentified Shearwater species, that I suppose does make 44 for the year.

Yesterday, I was heading up the stairs for lunch, when I noticed a GBBG on a handrail just ahead of me. No surprises there! However, at the last moment, I noticed that the bird had a tag. I stopped abruptly, and it was probably that which put the bird to flight. Often, if you keep your eyes and arms down, and move slowly, making no sudden movements, you can pass these birds within touching distance. My sudden stop was enough to prompt the bird to take flight, but I was fairly sure I read a "J" on the tag, which is a fat lot of good when there are four other letters/numbers to read for an ID.

Today, I was heading down the stairs from lunch (Not the one I went up for yesterday), when I noticed a small group of GBBGs coming into land on a handrail close to where I had seen yesterday's tagged bird. I know from experience that the GBBGs will often return to favoured areas of the platform, and even particular perches, as a matter of habit, so I took cover and waited till they had settled. We still have over 200 gulls around the platform, with most either in the water, or soaring above the platform, so I was not too hopeful, but as the last bird settled, I saw the tag I was looking for.

The tag JP979, seemed familiar. I have checked my records, and right enough this is a bird that I recorded here back in 2017 (You can see the note I made on it in post #333). I have entered the sighting on the Norwegian Ringmerking website, and found that there have been no sightings since my first on 24/11/17, just over four years ago.

Attachments

• JP979 BF rsz.JPG
    JP979 BF rsz.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 10
A few days ago, I thought I caught a glimpse of a hawk flying in under the platform. A hawk in December? Unlikely! I decided to dismiss my sighting, putting it down to a juv Herring Gull, but knowing all along that it was no gull. Today, I received a report of a hawk, seen at close quarters down on the Cellar Deck. Now all I have to do is find it for an ID.

Yesterday, a couple of birds of interest were reported to me. The first turned out to be a Cormorant on the Helideck. The second was a gull with a tag. Initially I assumed it was a re-sighting of JP979, but the description of the bird was of a juvenile, so JP was ruled out. I made a note of where the bird was seen, but was not hopeful, as a good proportion of our gulls disappeared yesterday, leaving us with less than half of the flock that had gathered.

Today, I approached the area of yesterday's spot, and there was a tagged juvenile gull. J62EU was tagged as a chick, 157 days ago at a place called Bauholmen, Mandal, Vest-Agder, Norway. The tagging site (nest) is 432 km to the east of us, on the southern tip of Norway.

Attachments

• J62EU BF rsz.JPG
    J62EU BF rsz.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 3
I am supposed to be sat on a train heading south from Aberdeen. I am not! I'm still on the platform due to fog.

It has been a strange day, as the platform was to undergo a big change in the way it is operated. From today, we are meant to be in what is called NNA (Not Normally Attended) mode. I was scheduled to be on the last flight away, leaving nobody on the platform for three weeks, until I returned. As we are now decommissioning, we no longer have to have a crew on at all times.

It was to take two flights to down man the platform this morning. The first managed to squeeze in before the fog, but I have since heard that they are sat in Inverness now, as Aberdeen is also fog bound. I was the last man to head up the stairs to the Accommodation module this morning. Heading out the door of the control room, I was instantly struck by how quiet the platform was with the power generation turned off. I could actually hear my own footsteps, the calm sea lapping around the legs below, and gulls calling.

I had hardly gone 5 yards, when a gull passed by. It was white-winged! But what species? It was out of sight around the corner of the structure before I could determine ID. I followed it, and relocated it, now heading away from the platform. It was big looking, with the dirty white plumage of a juvenile Glaucous, but I needed more to be sure. The bird turned and headed back towards me, before turning side on. There was the fierce look and club of a beak that confirmed Glaucous Gull.

Glaucous Gull makes the list for 2021 at 44. One less than my previous lowest, and if you count the unidentified Shearwater, it makes equal lowest at 45. Weather forecast is good tomorrow, so I should be away, but would I be being greedy if I said I wouldn't mind squeezing in an Iceland Gull?

My hope is, that with the platform unmanned for three weeks, and a lot quieter, that it might make it a little more attractive for visiting birds, that I will then hopefully get to see when I return.

2021 Platform List
  1. Great Black-backed Gull
  2. Herring Gull
  3. Kittiwake
  4. Guillemot
  5. Fulmar
  6. Gannet
  7. Starling
  8. Eider
  9. Common Gull
  10. Robin
  11. Chiffchaff
  12. Kestrel
  13. Blackcap
  14. Carrion Crow
  15. Swallow
  16. Stonechat
  17. Wheatear
  18. Short-eared Owl
  19. House Martin
  20. Siskin (d)
  21. Collared Dove
  22. Great Skua
  23. Black Headed Gull
  24. Common Scoter
  25. Cormorant
  26. Grey Heron*
  27. Hooded Crow
  28. Sparrowhawk
  29. Gadwall
  30. Meadow Pipit
  31. Pied Flycatcher
  32. Pied Wagtail
  33. Oystercatcher
  34. Peregrine
  35. Brambling
  36. Redwing
  37. Wood Pigeon
  38. Blackbird
  39. Long-Tailed Duck
  40. Storm Petrel
  41. Chaffinch
  42. Water Rail
  43. Fieldfare
  44. Glaucous Gull

That was a nice end to the year Paul.

It was foggy here this morning, and quite cool at 1C, but the sun has been shining this afternoon.

As someone who spends three weeks out of every six on a North Sea platform, I have to do a lot of my bird watching offshore. I thought it might be of interest to some if I posted the odd report.

So, this is a relatively quiet time of year. Still a few Fulmars about, but the big raft, up to 200+, of a few months ago are long gone. Gulls have started to appear in numbers again, Common, Black Headed, Lesser Black Backed, Great Black Backed and Herring. Oh and one juvenile Kittiwake.

And then there are the Gannets. I've never seen so many Gannets around in twenty five years. Certainly looks like they've had a population boost. The guys who live in Peterhead tell me that their trawler men friends are saying that fish stocks are definitely on the up. Certainly last year the large flock of Great Black Gulls that were here were dumping loads of fresh herring on the platform. They seemed to be only eating the heads and guts. A lot looked almost too gorged to fly.

Anyway, highlight of the week has to go to non avian visitors. Dolphins at dawn a few days ago followed by a Pilot whale diving under the platform in the afternoon.

As someone who spends three weeks out of every six on a North Sea platform, I have to do a lot of my bird watching offshore. I thought it might be of interest to some if I posted the odd report.

So, this is a relatively quiet time of year. Still a few Fulmars about, but the big raft, up to 200+, of a few months ago are long gone. Gulls have started to appear in numbers again, Common, Black Headed, Lesser Black Backed, Great Black Backed and Herring. Oh and one juvenile Kittiwake.

And then there are the Gannets. I've never seen so many Gannets around in twenty five years. Certainly looks like they've had a population boost. The guys who live in Peterhead tell me that their trawler men friends are saying that fish stocks are definitely on the up. Certainly last year the large flock of Great Black Gulls that were here were dumping loads of fresh herring on the platform. They seemed to be only eating the heads and guts. A lot looked almost too gorged to fly.

Anyway, highlight of the week has to go to non avian visitors. Dolphins at dawn a few days ago followed by a Pilot whale diving under the platform in the afternoon.
Are there puffins in Scotland?

Are there puffins in Scotland?
Hi Mirhans,
As Delia has informed you, there is an established breeding population of Puffins in Scotland. From my home patch, on a good day, you can see the Isle of May, which is famous for its Puffin colony, and can be visited by boat from Anstruther.

Strangely, I do not get too many Puffin out at the platform, but we did have one in 2020. You can see the photo on post #575

Thanks Paul.

Let's hope for a happy and prosperous 2022 and good health too my friend.

And so another year begins....

Quite mild, when I arrived yesterday. About 30-40 GBBGs, 1 Herring Gull and 1 Kittiwake seen.

2022 Platform List
  1. Great Black-Backed Gull
  2. Herring Gull
  3. Kittiwake

Happy New Year to you Paul.

Do you know how much longer you will be getting out to the platform?

This morning, I was alerted to the presence of a bird down on the Cellar Deck. The bird was described as "grey, and between the size of a Blackbird and a pigeon". I headed for the scene, with thoughts of Great Grey Shrike in mind. I soon found the bird, but sadly, it was no shrike, but rather, an unseasonal Fieldfare. Really strange for the time of year!

5. Fieldfare

It's turned into a busy bird day for January!

A tagged GBBG spotted on the flare stack. Darvic read J2778. I have traced it on the Norwegian Ringmerking site, and this bird has travelled from afar. A female, it was ringed far above the Arctic Circle, on a small island in the Barents Sea, off the Finnmark peninsula, NE Norway. It appears to have been ringed as a breeding adult on 03/05/2010, so I reckon this bird is about 27 yrs old, at least? It was seen, and captured again (same location) in 2012, when its Darvic was changed from JN314 to J2778. I think the reason for this was to fit a logger, which is mentioned in later sightings. The bird was recorded again, in the same place in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018. In the 2015 sighting it was noted that the bird was paired up with JX328, and in the 2018 sighting, it was noted that it was mother to two chicks; JX129 and JX131.

Now, 4 years after its last sighting, it has turned up here, 1967 km to the SW. Why? Probably just wanted to get its photo on Birdforum. 😁

Attachments

• DSCF5257 RSZ.JPG
    DSCF5257 RSZ.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 8
Not much around today, but GBBG, Herring Gull and Kittiwake all still represented. Also, a lone Fulmar seen; my first of the year.

6. Fulmar

Wind has changed direction and picked up speed today. Now coming out of the WNW at 50 Knots, which is much better than the previously dominant southerlies. With the present conditions, I might get something blown in from the northern isles area.

Most of the GBBG have moved away at the moment, with only half a dozen or so remaining. A few Herring Gull are about, and up to half a dozen Kittiwakes. Yesterday afternoon, our first Cormorant of the year drifted past.

7. Cormorant

Obviously, I don't expect too much in January. Sea duck are a possibility, and normally, W-W Gulls would be on the menu, but I don't think the mild conditions, and lack of northerlies are conducive to bring in Glaucous or Iceland.

Very mild conditions again, with a moderate wind from the SSW. Very strange weather for January, but another year first at lunchtime, with the arrival of a Guillemot. Much better start than last year, but sadly lacking W-W Gulls.

8. Guillemot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back