• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Sea Thread (3 Viewers)

There has been a powerful storm pushing through since yesterday. The place is swaying as huge waves smash into the jacket.

Sadly, the weather seems to have claimed the life of a late migrant; as I found a dead Snipe lying on the walkway on the weather side of the platform. Yesterday, there were still small groups of winter thrush and Starling around, however, they were struggling in the high winds.

49. Snipe (d)

Last edited:
The continuing strong winds (65-70 mph) are bringing a few birds past the platform. At lunchtime, I saw a distant wildfowl heading away over the tops of the waves. I would say it was a Common Scoter, but it was too far out for me to be 100% certain, so it will not make the year list.
Also not making the list was a swan, seen by two electricians. Their description did not allow me to ID it, but it did sound like a juvenile. We have not had a swan at the platform before, so whether it was Mute or Whooper, or even Bewick, I will note it on the platform master list as Swan Species only.

Certainly seems like you've had a good year in terms of numbers. I remember some times when you would post about days of light/unfavorable winds and zero birds. I'm always fascinated to read of your encounters with these seagoing migrants!

The wind has dropped a bit overnight, but is still over 40 mph. Yesterday, the Sparrowhawk that has been sheltering under the helideck on a large scaffold for a few days, was seen to take a Starling. Also yesterday, I was called to another "owl". I arrived at the scene and found a rather tired looking Cormorant, with its head under its wing, sitting on one of the walkways in a sheltered spot.

Today I was called to north side of the platform to see a bird initially, and variously called a wader, a duck and a goose. Duck turned out to be the correct term, as a female Common Scoter was found to be paddling about.

Common Scoter is our 50th identified species on the platform this year. A nice milestone to hit, and only surpassed by the 54 total of 2017.

50. Common Scoter

Attachments

• DSCF7748 RSZ.JPG
    DSCF7748 RSZ.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
My birding year on the platform is now complete. I was expecting another trip this month, but due to operational reasons, I visited the platform for only one day yesterday. Sadly, this pattern will continue well into next year, with one day visits every three or four weeks. Obviously the list for 2023 is already torpedoed, but I will report what I can.

There is a possibility that I will be visiting other platforms during the first 9 months of next year, so hopefully, if that happens, I'll be able to put up reports from new territory. Outside of that, it looks like I will possibly, as this last week, be spending a lot of time in Aberdeen, so come the Spring, when there is light outside of office hours, I'll be invading Girdle Ness and Nigg Bay. (y)

.... so it'll be next year before you get back!! Sounds a long way off, doesn't it.

Christmas greetings to you lad.

I made my return to the platform on Saturday morning; leaving again in the afternoon. Just enough time to make a start to this year's list.

First bird seen was a Kittiwake. There were three or four of them about. A couple of Herring Gull were seen then later in the day, a handful of GBBG turned up. Most interesting spot was not made by me. A male Blackbird was seen on the Skid Deck. Very unseasonal!

2023 List
  1. Kittiwake
  2. Herring Gull
  3. Great Black-backed Gull
  4. Blackbird*
There is now some hope that I will return to my normal rota in March, so might be in place for Spring movement.

At least we are up and running again.

I am a little late in posting the final 2022 year list, but here it is.

Platform year list 2022

• Great Black-backed Gull
  • Herring Gull
  • Kittiwake
  • Gannet
  • Fieldfare
  • Fulmar
  • Cormorant
  • Guillemot
  • Starling
  • Common Gull
  • Carrion Crow
  • Meadow Pipit
  • Pied Wagtail
  • Brambling
  • Chiffchaff
  • Goldcrest*
  • Woodpigeon
  • Song Thrush
  • Black Redstart
  • Robin
  • Kestrel
  • Wheatear
  • Sparrowhawk
  • Collared Dove
  • Swallow
  • Great Skua
  • Sand Martin
  • Black-headed Gull
  • Lesser Black-backed Gull
  • Razorbill
  • Arctic Skua
  • Spotted Flycatcher
  • Siskin*
  • Honey Buzzard*
  • Peregrine
  • Blackcap*
  • Grey Heron
  • Redstart
  • Wren
  • Dunlin
  • Redwing
  • Blackbird
  • Grey Wagtail
  • Yellow-browed Warbler
  • Short-eared Owl
  • Long-eared Owl
  • Woodcock (d)
  • Chaffinch
  • Snipe (d)
  • Common Scoter
Fifty species in all. A really good year.

That just leaves the little matter of “Bird of the Year“. If I had actually seen the Honey Buzzard myself, it would have flown away with the award, however, I was one of the very few who did not get eyes on it. Black Redstart and the two species of eared owl were contenders, but this years award goes to a much more humble bird. The award goes to Fulmar.

This ruling is based on one particular Fulmar out of the hundreds seen. My first ever Blue Phase Fulmar, although not registering as a species in itself, has been a much sought after bird, so the example that turned up for me this year, is duly rewarded.

I was out on Saturday for the day, but apart from a single GBBG, the only bird I saw was an unseasonal Blackbird, to go with the even more unseasonal one seen back in January.

I had hoped that I would be returning to normal working this month, but that is not going to be the case. In last week of April, I am now being sent to a platform in there Moray Firth. I will be based in Cullen, and will take a boat out of Buckie to the platform each day.

Should get to see a few birds, and might even be able to go for a wander along the coast at some point. Port Soy is a place I have heard of.

I was out on Saturday for the day, but apart from a single GBBG, the only bird I saw was an unseasonal Blackbird, to go with the even more unseasonal one seen back in January.

I had hoped that I would be returning to normal working this month, but that is not going to be the case. In last week of April, I am now being sent to a platform in there Moray Firth. I will be based in Cullen, and will take a boat out of Buckie to the platform each day.

Should get to see a few birds, and might even be able to go for a wander along the coast at some point. Port Soy is a place I have heard of.
Keep a look out for White-billed Divers. They're likely to be in that area in April/May time.

I was out for the day on Saturday. As we were landing, I spotted a Carrion Crow. Outside of the corvid, only thing new was a dead Chaffinch.

6. Carrion Crow
7. Chaffinch (d)

Three weeks today, I attended the platform for another day visit. There was little in the way of birds, with the only new entry to the list being Robin; of which there were two. On Friday, I was again out for the day. There was little in the way of sea birds again, but I was called to a Kestrel. Also, “Swallows“ were reported to me, however, the descriptions given by the spotters were of House Martins; the white rumps in particular stood out.

8. Robin
9. Kestrel
10. House Martin*

I have to be honest and state that my platform list for this year is a painful experience. Hopefully, normal working will be resumed later this year.

In between my two day trips, I spent two weeks up on the Moray Firth, boating back and forth each day, when the weather was good enough. The platform was within sight of land, but there was not too much in the way of birds. Guillemot were heavily present, but not much else in the sea bird department, except for a pair of Common Scoter.

On the platform, a Sparrowhawk, Carrion Crows, a dead Chiffchaff and a Jackdaw were the only land based birds spotted. The Jackdaw was an offshore first for me.

On days when the weather was too bad to sail, I did try to do a bit of birding, however, hopes of White-billed Diver at Port Soy were dashed by strong winds and heavy seas. I did however find a Marsh Harrier, a Common Crane, a pair of Garganey and a Ruff at Loch of Strathbeg. Also, an Osprey at Spey Bay.

I have just been informed by the former North Sea Bird Club recorder, that there is a new organisation gathering offshore bird data.

Looks like I will be counting gulls again once I finally get back!

Och well!! They're birds too Paul.... and you just might find a Silver or Pacific Gull if you look hard enough LOL

On Saturday, I made a day visit to the platform. Flying out I noted increased numbers of Gannet, but at the platform, there was little in the way of seabirds evident. There were a couple of things of note though.

Firstly, shortly after landing, I noticed a Curlew circling the platform. And secondly, while walking around the platform later, I found the remains of two Sparrowhawks on the external walkways. Both had been stripped to the bone, leaving just wings, tails, legs and bones. I also found an incriminating piece of evidence as to the identity of the predator of these predators. Next to one of the Sparrowhawk's remains was a large owl pellet!

11. Curlew
12. Sparrowhawk (d)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back