• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

NorthEast Brazil, checking on some IDs (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Dear all, my previous post and your subsequent answers (thank you again !) has created doubt in my mind about similar species.

- Am I right to call photo 1 and photo 2 (different individuals) both Planalto Tyrannulets ?
- My guess is photo 3 is no longer Mouse-colored Tyrannulet... what would you call it ?
- I had called photo 4 a blue-chinned Sapphire female and photo 5 a male. Is this correct ?

Thank you again in advance for your time enlightened views.
Ugolino

Attachments

• Planalto Tyrannulet BRA 0842.JPG
    Planalto Tyrannulet BRA 0842.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Planalto Tyrannulet BRA 9681.JPG
    Planalto Tyrannulet BRA 9681.JPG
    73.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Mouse-colored Tyrannulet BRA 3466.JPG
    Mouse-colored Tyrannulet BRA 3466.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 26
  • Blue-chinned Sapphire (female) BRA 8350.JPG
    Blue-chinned Sapphire (female) BRA 8350.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Blue-chinned Sapphire (male) BRA 7809.JPG
    Blue-chinned Sapphire (male) BRA 7809.JPG
    479 KB · Views: 25

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Agree with Planalto Tyrannulet for the first two.

Third one looks like perhaps Euler's Flycatcher? Lots of regional variation in that one (it is certainly at least a couple of different species). Looks more or less like an Empid structurally, and I don't see it as any Elaenia. Fuscous Flycatcher would have more of an eyeline. Not sure if I'm missing something there.

Fourth bird looks like Glittering-throated Emerald to me showing a quite broad white belly patch.

Fifth looks good for female plumaged White-chinned Sapphire. If that is actually blue on the throat, and with how heavily marked it is beneath, I think it should be that species and not Blue-chinned, but I'm not 100%, it could still be Blue-chinned Sapphire. Not an expert on these birds, haven't seen those species very many times so that is just my best estimation.

ugolino

Thank you pbjosh.
Still stuck on that Tyrannulet/Flycatcher...identification (photo 3)
Anyone else to the rescue ?
Thank you, ugolino

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread