• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Northern Bald) Ibis? Fuerteventura (1 Viewer)

Carlosson

Having luckily escaped the pandemic (only 4 active cases in the Pajara region) I was just carrying my luggage across the lower pool area of the Royal Palm Resort at the Playa de Butihondo on Fuerteventura when I was surprised by 3 large birds that suddenly appeared overhead seemingly out of nowhere (probably flying in from the ocean) and then quickly disappeared out of sight to the west.

With my binoculars still in my backpack and my camera out of reach in its bag all I managed to do in that moment (apart from cursing) was to get out my little iPhone to take a silly snapshot.
(I will try to attach it. As it is a “Live”-shot you might be able to hear a bird-call and see a little movement.)

My first thought was: Northern Bald Ibis (Geronticus eremita) - after all the Moroccan coast is on the other side of the ocean ;-)
What do you see?

Attachments

• D2F749D1-0E18-4BF6-A5E2-6FE5E21FE37F.jpeg
    D2F749D1-0E18-4BF6-A5E2-6FE5E21FE37F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
Is there a bird park nearby? they remind me of black-faced or buff-necked ibises, both species from South America.

Niels

Having luckily escaped the pandemic (only 4 active cases in the Pajara region) I was just carrying my luggage across the lower pool area of the Royal Palm Resort at the Playa de Butihondo on Fuerteventura when I was surprised by 3 large birds that suddenly appeared overhead seemingly out of nowhere (probably flying in from the ocean) and then quickly disappeared out of sight to the west.

With my binoculars still in my backpack and my camera out of reach in its bag all I managed to do in that moment (apart from cursing) was to get out my little iPhone to take a silly snapshot.
(I will try to attach it. As it is a “Live”-shot you might be able to hear a bird-call and see a little movement.)

My first thought was: Northern Bald Ibis (Geronticus eremita) - after all the Moroccan coast is on the other side of the ocean ;-)
What do you see?
Definitely not a bald ibis. My first thought was sacred ibis, however the others here are most likely right- I have 0 experience with ibises

There is a zoo on Fuerteventura which seems to be losing birds. Marabou stork, sudan golden sparrow and red-vented bulbuls were also reported in the last years.

The Ibis and storks etc were let loose when the Stella Canaris resort in Jandia closed down a few years back. The Bulbuls were escapes from Oasis Park near La Lajita, and the Sudan Golden Sparrow was a genuine migrant which may have been ship assisted..

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back