• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern California House Finch plus Western Tanager? (1 Viewer)

Crow19

United States
I believe the bird on the left is a female house finch and the bird in the middle a male. But I need help identifying the yellow bird to the right -- is it a Western Tanager?

Photo was taken 12/24/21.

Attachments

• DSC_2367.jpg
    DSC_2367.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
Two house finches and a goldfinch - I suspect American goldfinch. Western tanager is bigger, with no white in the tail.

Vs Lesser? Really strong black markings on wings contrasting with really thick creamy wing bars; mantle browner than head; no visible white "window" at base of primaries (though not a great angle for that). This looks like a non-breeding male American to me. I wouldn't stake my life on it, but Lessers tend to have more olive-green tones, e.g. in the mantle, and their wing bars tend to look more... disorganized.

As far as I know bill color is unreliable, both vary depending on season. Can't possibly judge bill shape from this photo, not that I'm any good at that in the best of circumstances.

Vs Lesser? [American goldfinch has...] Really strong black markings on wings contrasting with really thick creamy wing bars; mantle browner than head
I've long found this species-pair problematic in non-pretty plumages, and your comments are helpful - thanks. Maybe the wide and even great-covert-bar is the best feature (in winter)?

mantle browner than head
I don't see that that works here.

no visible white "window" at base of primaries (though not a great angle for that)
Indeed I wouldn't use that feature here - and I've found it can be confusing unless the problem bird is a lesser goldfinch that happens to have a prominent white primary-base-patch.

As far as I know bill color is unreliable, both vary depending on season
Definitely variable I agree. Though presumably reliable for some age/season/sex combinations.

Can't possibly judge bill shape from this photo
I think it looks rather more spiky (American goldfinch) than stubby (lesser goldfinch) here.

This is a bad view for judging, but when visible the white undertail coverts in American vs. yellowish in Lesser is reliable in any plumage.

Living in an area where LEGO and AMGO are both common in winter, usually it isn't hard at all to tell them apart. Other than their calls which are very different, Lesser Goldfinch in winter are a 'bright bird', they always look yellow throughout their breast. American Goldfinch are gray at this time, with any yellow usually being centered around the face. Additionally, Americans have more contrasting black and white wings which are obvious in this picture, with an especially wide greater covert bar which Lessers don't really show.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back