• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumbrian Birding (7 Viewers)

Saw my first summer arrival of the year yesterday - a beautifully bright-looking chiffchaff in the small plantation at the entrance road to Druridge Pools. This is a whole week earlier than I personally have seen a chiffchaff in Northumberland (although I admit, I've only been taking note for the last 5 years!! :-O)

In fact, a glorious day to be out on my bike with my bins, with singing skylarks, dunnock, meadow pipit, finches and reed bunting almost everywhere. And, amazingly, I added two lifers, seeing the Slavonian grebe at East Chevington, and finally managing to catch-up with the long-billed dowitcher at Cresswell on my fifth attempt (nice to see a lesser redpoll on the feeders there, too).

Last edited:
Saw my first summer arrival of the year yesterday - a beautifully bright-looking chiffchaff in the small plantation at the entrance road to Druridge Pools. This is a whole week earlier than I personally have seen a chiffchaff in Northumberland (although I admit, I've only been taking note for the last 5 years!! :-O)

In fact, a glorious day to be out on my bike with my bins, with singing skylarks, dunnock, meadow pipit, finches and reed bunting almost everywhere. And, amazingly, I added two lifers, seeing the Slavonian grebe at East Chevington, and finally managing to catch-up with the long-billed dowitcher at Cresswell on my fifth attempt (nice to see a lesser redpoll on the feeders there, too).

Great report. My highlight has been listening to the Skylarks near Holywell Pond. Fab few days. Your Chiff is probably resident mate, bit too early for the migrants

Spring migrants appearing in the south, warmer south-westerlies forecast by the end of the week. Sedge warblers will be here soon. They and other migrants as well as the residents will be looking for a place to nest and so far not a sod has been turned at East Chevington regarding reed clearance from the clogged outlet ditch that is causing the north pool not to drain and remain polluted, despite the promises. Congratulations NWT on another year lost while you have all been concentrating on your vanity project at Hauxley.

I was at Gosforth Park a couple of weeks ago and the management there have been making all sorts of changes to the habitat on the reserve since I was there late summer as well as making hide improvements.

What is it about NWT that they seem to make simple management jobs so impossible? I give up, I really do.

Maybe they could hire Steve McClaren as a manager? He could be an improvement.

They appear to have even run out of excuses now!

Last edited:
Summer's coming!

Loads of chiffchaffs calling while I was out at the weekend, my first 2016 UK willow warbler (singing from shrubs near Lynemouth), two wheatear at Cresswell Pond and a Sandwich tern fishing off Snab Point... all in glorious sunshine, too!

Few good hours birding Druridge yesterday - hundreds of Sand Martin and Swallow and, at East Chevington, a single Swift :t:

QE11 = singing Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcap. Male Bullfinch and 7 Tree Sparrow.

Cresswell Pond = Long-billed Dowitcher, female Ruff, Sanderling, Ringed Plover and four Avocet....oh, and a stunning male Wheatear in field. Also 12 Stock Dove feeding in cattle field opposite farm.

East Chev = male Marsh Harrier, Grasshopper Warbler, Swift, Common Tern, male Sparrowhawk flying over North Pool and being mobbed by hirundines.

No posts on this forum for 2 weeks. I know it's been quiet on the migrant-front but I thought I'd break the radio silence.

Cresswell on Sunday produced: Little Egret, Greenshank, Dunlin, Ruff in nice plumage, BT Godwit x 3. Grasshopper Warbler/Whitethroat /Sedge Warbler all singing and showing in the brambles next to the car park and a stoat on the road. Dowitcher has long cleared off.

Budge fields really quiet for the time of year and quite flooded.

Anyone visited Allen Banks or Beacon Wood yet?
Andy

I had a cracking day on Holy Island today. Unfortunately there wasn't as much around as yesterday but I still managed to catch up with Red-Backed Shrike, Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Lesser Whitethroat and a self found female Bluethroat. I just wish it had been a bit warmer.

I had a cracking day on Holy Island today. Unfortunately there wasn't as much around as yesterday but I still managed to catch up with Red-Backed Shrike, Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Flycatcher, Lesser Whitethroat and a self found female Bluethroat. I just wish it had been a bit warmer.

Had your female Bluethroat yesterday (at Chare Ends) very close to the Western Subalpine Warbler - both showing really well. Got the Dotterel off the Crooked Lonnen too which was distant in heat haze. Really good Spring birding day on the Island but no commoner migrants left at all which was odd.

Being a newbie any bird spotted is a bonus, but walking around Seaton Delival and Hollwell Dean with my photographer friend was fantastic. We spent ages observing a pair of Buzzards and could have spent longer. We then moved on for what was a very long walk (well for me anyway) and took in Hollywell Pond Canada Geese, Tufted Duck, Common Tern and more.
Walking further we observed Chaffinch, Gold Finch, Great Tit Dunnock and a few more species that I could not identify. Observed a Swallows nest inside my fiends wife's stables.

PS
Pictures to follow.;)

I am travelling to alnwick for the weekend, I was planning to go for the Bonaparte gull at wansbeck, would appreciate any help where to park and access the estuary, and any location pointers for the gull , is heading for north seaton and walking through what look like allotment's the best option?

Nope! I'm not for surrendering my soul to Mr Zuckerberg :t:

That's OK, just thought it might give a little more in the way of participation. I am sure it is not that bad, just some local people discussing local birding, but if that is not for you then that's OK.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back