• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norwich Birding (2 Viewers)

Had a mute swan crash land in our wood yard on Barn Rd yesterday. No obvious injuries and it didn't seem perturbed at all. No room to get airborne again and no chance of it crossing 4 lanes of traffic during the rush hour, so I caught it and carried it back to the river.
You can imagine the odd looks I got from the drivers and pedestrians as I did my Rod Hull impression.

Stonechat Marston Marshes

Sat 25th October

Stonechat Marston Marshes by pond just north of river.

Last edited:
Back to Cormorants plenty at Whitlingham today, around twenty in total. About a dozen in a tree, the attached picture shows eight best I could manage to get without making them look too small, the rest dotted along adjacent posts.

Attachments

• DSC00225.JPG
    DSC00225.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 42
Good to see there's still a lot around. On 15th Oct I had 38 go to roost in those trees - as far as I'm aware the most ever recorded is 63, from Jan this year.

Back to Cormorants plenty at Whitlingham today, around twenty in total. About a dozen in a tree, the attached picture shows eight best I could manage to get without making them look too small, the rest dotted along adjacent posts.

A group of Brent Goose headed south-ish over New Costessey at 1830 tonight (heard only). Nice garden tick.

Big tit flock just upstream of New Mills Yard today contained 6+ Chiffchaff, two of which were very grey looking individuals. Unfortunately, they both remained silent.

Will

Saw them flying E over Old Costessey just before at 1250pm. I didn't count them but guestimated about 500 in 2 long v-shaped skeins so I'm wondering whether they split when they got to Norwich.

Pink feet are quite a regular observation this time of year. Had a couple of skeins over uni aswell as on the garden list!

Hi Will.

Good to hear about some city centre birds, keep up the good work! Unfortunately its now dark before and after work so my city birding is limited to flyovers at the moment.

Regards,
James

Big tit flock just upstream of New Mills Yard today contained 6+ Chiffchaff, two of which were very grey looking individuals. Unfortunately, they both remained silent.

Will

Hi folks are there any Norwich socials going on over this coming festive season or any local Norwich bird & wildlife groups out there? Would love to hook up with some fellow local birders for birding or pubbage! :) I work weekdays but free most weekends.

Cheers

Jo

Will

Has anyone else had a chance to look for these yet? I should have an hour tomorrow.

James

No sign Tuesday or yesterday in the same place or along the cycle path north as far as Clark's snooker club. The Wensum Park area might be worth a look. Good luck. If you're in the area, check the Toys 'R' Us / TK Max area for Waxwings. No sign as yet but they like it around here. I'm convinced it's only a matter of time.

Will

No sign Tuesday or yesterday in the same place or along the cycle path north as far as Clark's snooker club. The Wensum Park area might be worth a look. Good luck. If you're in the area, check the Toys 'R' Us / TK Max area for Waxwings. No sign as yet but they like it around here. I'm convinced it's only a matter of time.

Will

cheers Will,

James

Hi folks are there any Norwich socials going on over this coming festive season or any local Norwich bird & wildlife groups out there? Would love to hook up with some fellow local birders for birding or pubbage! :) I work weekdays but free most weekends.

Cheers

Jo

I don't know of any informal Norwich birder meetings at the moment, but there are local RSPB and NWT groups with events coming up:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/groups/norwich/events/
https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.uk/whats-on/interests/local-groups/norwich-local-group
- The NWT one are doing a walk at Whitlingham CP on Sun Dec 7th.

Will, can you advise on any other places in Norwich to keep eyes open for waxwing?

In a good year Waxwings turn up all around the city, but in quieter years the main places tend to be the Golden Triangle, Dereham Road (KFC to Toys'R'Us), Hall Road area and Thorpe St Andrews/Dussindale. Check out rowan or cotoneaster with lots of berries plus apple trees in advance!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back