• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Not a Caspian Gull surely | Choshi, Japan march 2020 (1 Viewer)

HouseCrow

Choshi harbour, Chiba, Japan | 5 march 2020

records at:

I fail to draw a crowd to my gull topics but hey...if i can't try it here....
This was one of many gulls that drew my attention. Most were at a distance, but this one was nearby -next to a probable Thayer's-.
Ok the light is bleaching out the image a bit but the head is whitish, neck finely streaked, so is the breast...
I don't see a dark trailing edge to the secondaries (if you call them that) like in Vega Gull
I would label this gull 3CY but it could also be an advanced 2CY?

What do you think? Vega Gull would be the standard light mantled gull I suppose but I don't think that is what this is, for one the eye is dark, not yellowish/green.
It has a cachinnans look about it. I have heard talk of light-mantled Heuglin's or maybe taimyrensis but I am only just starting to see what Vega is, so...

anti Caspian Gull:
the bill is a bit heavy,
the dark tailband is too broad

what would you say?

hope to read from you
cheers
Gerben

Attachments

• 3kj3.jpg
    3kj3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 3kj2.jpg
    3kj2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 34
  • 3kj.jpg
    3kj.jpg
    949.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I'll leave this one to somebody who knows what they are talking about, but I don't get a Caspian vibe from this bird. The gonydal angle and aggressive expression seem at odds for that species.

I have no personal experience with all these eastern pacific taxa but i think a 2nd winter-->summer, or in other words, 3cy Mongolian Gull would be the best fit for this bird. it would be way too advanced for a 2nd cycle (3cy) Vega Gull and lack of clear white primary tips also suggests a 2nd cycle bird.

thanks DMW and Lou,
I am going to look into it, it would be a nice one to have. Mongolian appear to be common there but I had no acceptable shots yet (only some distant birds which may well be advanced Vega anyway)

Up to now I can't find an example of another argenteus-like light mantled Mongolian.

cheers and thanks again for the quick reply! Much appreciated
Gerben

A gullist has spoken, this too is a Vega Gull, a 3CY. ( a Choshi-experienced admin has ID-d the bird at observado.org)

case closed I think

cheers,
Gerben

Hi Lou, yes it was Peter A.
Loosely translated:

The bird has a typical dirty brown neck and mainly white secondaries of a 2ndW Vega. Plumage is also still very fresh

Original:
"De vogel heeft de typisch vuilbruine halstekening, witte vleugeldekveren en grotendeels witte armpennen van een 2w Vegameeuw. Erg vers verenkleed ook nog altijd." (https://japan.observation.org/waarneming/view/210272487)

I admit now that i can't follow his line of thinking completely...as a gullist beginner.

In the rest of his comment he seemed to say that Mongolian is probably less frequent in Eastern JP.

Cheers,
Gerben

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back