• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Not only) Thamnophilidae (1 Viewer)

Peter Kovalik

Slovakia
Tobias, Aben, Brumfield, Derryberry, Halfwerk, Slabbekoorn & Seddon, 2010. Song divergence by sensory drive in Amazonian birds. Evolution, Accepted articles.
Abstract
This paper contains a maximum-likelihood tree from an analysis of the ND2 gene depicting evolutionary relationships among the 33 species (particularly antbirds) used in acoustic analysis.

Thamnophilidae

Juan Pablo Gómez, Gustavo A. Bravo, Robb T. Brumfield, José G. Tello, Carlos Daniel Cadena, 2010. A phylogenetic approach to disentangling the role of competition and habitat filtering in community assembly of Neotropical forest birds. Journal of Animal Ecology (Early View).
Abstract
Supporting Information

Last edited:
Euchrepomidinae: Euchrepomis

Bravo, Remsen, Whitney & Brumfield (in press). DNA sequence data reveal a previously unsuspected subfamily-level divergence within Thamnophilidae (Aves: Passeriformes). Mol Phylogenet Evol. [abstract]
Etymology. Feminine generic name derived from the Greek euchrôs (ruddy, bright-colored) and epômis (point of the shoulder). This refers to the bright yellow or bright orange-rufous coloration of the lesser secondary coverts of males; a character that, within Thamnophilidae, is unique to the members of the genus.

Last edited:
Have only seen abstract. Can anyone advise which of Euchrepomis callinota, E. humeralis, E. spodioptila and E. sharpei is the type species?

Last edited:
Ricardo Belmonte-Lopes, 2013. Investigando o isolamento esplendido da América do Sul: Filogenia e biogeografia histórica dos Thamnophilidae (Aves: Passeriformes: Tyranni).

PDF here

Forthcoming...

Isler, Bravo & Brumfield (in review). Systematics of the obligate ant-following clade of antbirds (Aves: Passeriformes: Thamnophilidae).

Bravo, Remsen & Brumfield (in review). Adaptive processes drive ecomorphological convergent evolution in antwrens (Thamnophilidae).

Daniela Rodrigues Lacerda, Miguel Ângelo Marini, Fabrício Rodrigues dos Santos, 2007. Mitochondrial DNA corroborates the species distinctiveness of the Planalto (Thamnophilus pelzelni Hellmayr, 1924) and the Sooretama (T. ambiguus Swainson, 1825) Slaty-antshrikes (Passeriformes: Thamnophilidae). Brazilian Journal of Biology, v. 67, n. 4, p. 873-882.
[PDF]

Myrmotherula antwren complex

Forthcoming...
Bravo, Remsen & Brumfield (in review). Adaptive processes drive ecomorphological convergent evolution in antwrens (Thamnophilidae).
Bravo, Remsen & Brumfield (in press). Adaptive processes drive ecomorphological convergent evolution in antwrens (Thamnophilidae). Evolution. [abstract] [supp info]
Phylogeny
The phylogenetic analyses based on maximum-likelihood and Bayesian methods yielded identical, highly supported topologies (Figure S.1). This topology corroborates previous results that Myrmotherula is not monophyletic (Hackett and Rosenberg 1990; Isler et al. 2006; Bravo et al. 2012a; Belmonte-Lopes et al. 2012), with members of the genus placed in four distantly related clades (Myrmotherula sensu stricto, Epinecrophylla, Isleria, and Rhopias; Fig. 2). Myrmotherula sensu stricto itself is also paraphyletic with respect to the genera Terenura, Formicivora, Stymphalornis, and Myrmochanes. Taxonomic implications within Myrmotherula sensu strictu will be discussed and published elsewhere (Bravo et al. in prep).
[supp info includes Fig S.1.]​

Last edited:
..“There are five more new species that we are describing now within the family Thamnophilidae,”...
[/URL]

I take that to be five new species over and above those in the HBW special volume? I guess these will be five more interfluvial forms which SACC won't like very much and will look the same as adjacent forms. But that's me with my glass half empty again! Maybe we will get a new Rhegmatorhina - haha ;)

cheers, alan

I take that to be five new species over and above those in the HBW special volume? I guess these will be five more interfluvial forms which SACC won't like very much and will look the same as adjacent forms. But that's me with my glass half empty again! Maybe we will get a new Rhegmatorhina - haha ;)

Given the authors and their past publications, the supposed new species are more likely to be consistent with currently accepted species limits than some new taxa in the HBW volume. Of course, this is a research group including some SACC committee members and with close links to others, whose work the SACC tends to endorse ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back