• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

November Moths (1 Viewer)

Rubia

01/11.
Far too windy to trap as its blowing a gale out there.
But a bit of serendipity this evening got the month off to a positive start.
Went to put the bin out for the morning and came back to find two moths in the outside corridor. Dark Chestnut and Satellite, both garden ticks.

dantheman

Bah humbug
01/11.
Far too windy to trap as its blowing a gale out there.
But a bit of serendipity this evening got the month off to a positive start.
Went to put the bin out for the morning and came back to find two moths in the outside corridor. Dark Chestnut and Satellite, both garden ticks.

Crumbs. Does this mean your outside light is where you should be concentrating in the future?!

Satellite a new one for the autumn I believe. Blowing a gale out there too so not trapping tonight either.

dantheman

Bah humbug
Couldn't sleep last night and it wasn't raining at 2 so I went out and put the trap on - it was pretty windy but about 15C! It's about 11C now, even though the sun is out.

No moths in the trap at 7:20am but a battered Angle Shades on my approach - presumably a cat victim. I count dead moths for the returns, presume others do too?

StuartReeves

Local rarity
No moths in the trap for the second night running, but a single November Moth was inside the window of my kitchen.

Rubia

No moths in the trap for the second night running, but a single November Moth was inside the window of my kitchen.

Perhaps indoor mothing is the way forward at this time of year.:-O

I've just been sent a tweet by a friend put out by Migrant Lepidoptera suggesting next weekend is going to be better with warm air from the south-east and less wind (except the far west) from the 7th. Then African air to Ireland/far west from the 9th.
Maybe things will pick up for us.

KenM

Haven't run the trap for months having said that, we run a security halogen on the patio which is angled to the heavens and on Saturday night, I ventured outside and found two Merveille du jours in the darkened shade beneath the light on the black rubber strip that surrounds the window frame plus a Barred Sallow, which I had to extricate from a spider web (alas too late)......

Jabberwocky

I ran my trap last night, positioned under some trees to get shelter from the wind.
Total catch was 3 yellow-line quakers, and 2 each of Sprawler and Green-brindled Crescent.
I won't be trapping again until the weekend now as we have frost forecast for the next few nights.

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Winter Moth & Silver Y last night, so still no blank sessions, although last night was the first time I'd gone to bed without anything having been recorded.

dantheman

Bah humbug
Night of the 2nd - an unidentified geo which evaded scrutiny in the evening, but nothing in the trap or its environs am. Min 5C

Last night, 3rd - a Turnip Moth and a worn Beaded Chestnut in the trap. Min 2.5C Also went out to the car in the early hours, and tried feeding tuna to a hedgehog bimbling along the road, although it was more interested in trying to eat my shoes.

Rubia

Ran the trap for 3 hours from dusk last night. The temperature after that was very low and I read somewhere that there is a moderate change around dusk with winter season moths so thought a short period might be worth it. I got two - a Shuttle-shaped Dart and an Acleris notana/ferrugana agg.
I'll persist with brief dusk runs whilst its dry till the temperature improves, just in case something decides to pop in.

Rubia

04/11. Trap on for 3 hours again. 2 moths. 1 Merveille du Jour and 1 December Moth. The latter a life and garden tick. A very beautiful moth.

dantheman

Bah humbug
Have kept going last few nights.

4th Nov - frost (1.5C), 3 moths in trap - Red-line Quaker, Beaded Chestnut and Angle Shades.

Last night 5th - forget to reset the thermometer but not as cold.

Red-line Quaker
Beaded Chestnut
Dark Sword-grass
Dark Chestnut
November Moth agg
Black Rustic

A Winter Moth found its way into the house last night. I've got the trap out tonight for the final week of the summer Garden Moth Scheme. The temperature is due to drop to minus 1C, so I'm not holding my breath for large numbers!

Farnboro John

A Winter Moth found its way into the house last night. I've got the trap out tonight for the final week of the summer Garden Moth Scheme. The temperature is due to drop to minus 1C, so I'm not holding my breath for large numbers!

I'm also trapping tonight but prepared for an empty trap in the morning - happened a few times recently!

John

dantheman

Bah humbug
Let last nights moths go out the front an hour so ago - then went to the back garden where a different Dark Chestnut and Black Rustic were resting on the trap.

EDIT: both still there, and a (different) November Moth agg. Most moths I've seen at the trap for weeks and weeks of an evening! Currently c12C (it was 5C daytime earlier) with mostly cloud cover and a stiff SE breeze, so we will see what the morning brings ...

Last edited:

Farnboro John

To my slight surprise, three moths in the trap this morning: Black Rustic, Cypress Carpet and Large Yellow Underwing. Not going to set the world on fire but better than nothing!

John

Users who are viewing this thread