• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

November Moths (1 Viewer)

Last night min 8C

Large Yellow Underwing 1 (pm ony)
Nov Moth agg 3
Dark Chestnut 1
Chestnut 1
Beaded Chestnut 1
Red-green Carpet 1
Herald 1

Was also working in Falmouth yesterday, disturbed half dozen or so Bloxworth Snout hibernating (they weren't hibernating very hard) Not sure if we can count moths away from the garden trap for the Joint List or not??

A single R-g C was all I got last night.

Two moths on Dan's list would be ticks for me, Dark and Beaded Chestnuts.

I might just hang in until months end, then it's definitely over for me....maybe ;)

Last edited:
Of eight moths this morning, half were actually in the trap for a change. Tallies were three each of November and Feathered Thorn, a December and a new for the garden Sprawler.

A few recent pix:

December Moth X 2 - what a cracking moth this is! Belted about all over the place, got stuck in a spider web, then after I got it out, belted about again before climbing up the moth trap flapping like crazy and finally settling down on the outside of it.

Feathered Thorn male

Feathered Thorn presumably female?

Attachments

• 20201110 (6)_December_Moth.JPG
    20201110 (6)_December_Moth.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201110 (7)_December_Moth.JPG
    20201110 (7)_December_Moth.JPG
    311.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201111 (1)_Feathered_Thorn.JPG
    20201111 (1)_Feathered_Thorn.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201113 (5)_Feathered_Thorn.JPG
    20201113 (5)_Feathered_Thorn.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 19
13/11. 3 moths here. 1 Chestnut, 1 LBAM and 1 unidentified (at present) micro.
Looks like rain, more rain and lower temps coming. A shame. People on the coast seem to be raving about migrants on Twitter, which I'm guessing isn't going to happen for inland folks.
I don't see why your Bloxworth Snouts shouldn't count, Dan. It's November, you saw them and it isn't as if all our gardens are near each other anyway. Agree with FB, December Moth is a super little moth.

Looking at December Moths - for my 10km square it's at no 20 on shinyapps 'flying tonight' with 4 records in this time period (November Moth is #1 with 47). Compared to Norfolk (norfolkmoths website) , where it is at no 1 with 705 - November Moth 271 in third place) ...

Anyway, wasn't going to trap tonight, but changed my mind and put it on around 8:30pm ...

https://shiny-apps.ceh.ac.uk/whats_flying_tonight/

My second ever Mottled Umber was all I had last night.

Attachments

• PB150618.jpg
    PB150618.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 10
  • PB150644.jpg
    PB150644.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Joint Tally for November - (Update from 11th Nov, post #57)

Dark Chestnut
Satellite
Angle Shades
November Moth agg
Merveille du Jour
Barred Sallow (deceased)
Yellow-line Quaker
Sprawler
Green-brindled Crescent
10. Winter Moth
Silver Y
Figure of Eight
Turnip Moth
Beaded Chestnut
Shuttle-shaped Dart
Red-line Quaker
Dark Sword-grass
Black Rustic
Spruce Carpet
20. Brick
Feathered Thorn
22. Red Green Carpet
--
23. December Moth
24. Common Marbled Carpet
25. Vine's Rustic
26. Large Yellow Underwing
27. Setaceous Hebrew Character
28. Grey Shoulder-knot
29. Mottled Umber
--
30. Chestnut
Pale Brindled Beauty
Streak
Oak Nycteoline
Juniper Carpet
Grey Pine Carpet
Garden Carpet
Least Carpet
November Moth
Pale Mottled Willow
40. Blair's Shoulder Knot
Large Wainscot
Cypress Carpet
Double-striped Pug
Lesser Yellow Underwing
--
Radford's Flame Shoulder - immigrant
Herald
47. Bloxworth Snout (non-garden)

Micros -

Acleris notana/ferrugana agg.
Common Plume
Diamondback Moth
Light Brown Apple Moth
Acleris agg
Tachystola acroxantha
Acleris sparsana
Eudonia angustea
Rusty Dot Pearl
Mompha subbistrigella
Acleris variegana
Hofmannophila pseudospretella (Brown House Moth)
Agonopterix arenella
Beautiful Plume
Blastobasis lacticolella
--
Endrosis sarcitrella (White-shouldered House-moth)

Hopefully correct ... not much to add, but keeps it on the current page.

Last edited:
Been a while since I've seen any moths not trapping, but this morning by some security lights at Ruislip Lido there were 13 Mottled Umber & 2 Winter Moths.

Pretty fair last night, although nothing new for the joint November list. A tick for me though, Grey Shoulder-knot, very welcome. Four Red-green Carpets were par for the course at the moment, one Spruce too, and another December Moth (there's a different one on the back wall as I type, trap went straight on as soon as I got home, nice and mild). A couple of neat species comparison pairs made up the balance; Scarce & Mottled Umber and Dark and regular Chestnut.

Attachments

• IMG_9973.JPG
    IMG_9973.JPG
    214.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9916.JPG
    IMG_9916.JPG
    271.5 KB · Views: 20
Trap is on, forecast is 13C , SSW 24mph winds gusting to 35, overcast, so we'll see ...

Last night was a slightly funny one - Silver Y in the trap, Rusty Dot Pearl on the trap, a really worn Nov Moth agg nearby and that was it.

Pretty fair last night, although nothing new for the joint November list. A tick for me though, Grey Shoulder-knot, very welcome. Four Red-green Carpets were par for the course at the moment, one Spruce too, and another December Moth (there's a different one on the back wall as I type, trap went straight on as soon as I got home, nice and mild). A couple of neat species comparison pairs made up the balance; Scarce & Mottled Umber and Dark and regular Chestnut.

Some nice moths there, cracking backgrounds too :-O

Only 4 potential ticks for me in that lot ...

Last night was deeply disappointing, I think the wind was just strong enough to put moths off flying. Very mild but I only had 2 moths. Feathered Thorn and December Moth.

Yes, nice and mild up here too, but way too blustery. December Moth, Red-green Carpet, Scarce Umber, Yellow-line Quaker & Grey Shoulder-knot is all.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back