• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Numida meleagris coronatus Gurney, JH, 1868 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

I ask myself why John Henry Gurney is considered as first author of Numida meleagris coronatus? His publication to find here. There is a reference to George Robert Gray. Of course Gray gave no proper description but he gave the distribution range. Is this not enough according the code to make the name valid?

As well I ask myself if there is a John Henry Gurney Jr, if I look at the IOC World bird list here who also decribed natural history specimen?

l_raty

laurent raty
https://code.iczn.org/chapter-4-cri...icle-12-names-published-before-1931/#art-12-3
12.3. Exclusions
The mention of any of the following does not in itself constitute a description, definition, or indication: a vernacular name, locality, geological horizon, host, label, or specimen.
Thus, no, a range statement cannot make (or even help to make) a name available.

For a new species published before 1931, you need either a description, or an illustration. (Or a reference to one of these two things, having previously been published elsewhere.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread