• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nuthatch ID? (Bulgaria) (1 Viewer)

gkamov

Yeah, birds.
Bulgaria
Hi there!

This morning I had an interesting observation around Ihtiman, Bulgaria - would be great to hear opinions on the bird in question.

I was birding on a dry hill covered with grass and small bushes around it when I heard a sound very similar to this one. It caught my attention because I'd never heard it before. Tried to locate the bird which seemed pretty close by. Finally saw it and my first reaction was: "What is a Nuthatch doing here?", as I clearly saw the eye stripe, the bill and the general familiar shape of the species. It kept moving from bush to bush and the only photo I managed to snap was the one attached - no head, I know... :) What I noticed from shortly observing it with binoculars was how pale it was - and how unusual it was to see a Nuthatch in this habitat (the nearest forest is at least 2 km. away).

Could it be a Western Rock Nuthatch? As far as I know, it has not been observed in this area. It is a breeding species in Bulgaria, but much further south (Eastern Rhodopes, Kresna Gorge). However, this hill seems like a matching habitat - with exposed rocks, dry soil with small water pools...

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_4281.JPG
    IMG_4281.JPG
    873.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back