• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NYC / Long Island - December (1 Viewer)

mustap

I would be interested in any tips for winter (December) birding in New York City, or Long Island. I hope to return for a more extensive trip in the Spring, so my focus for this brief visit will be winter birds not typically/easily seen in late May.

Of special interest would be Great Cormorant, Nelson's Sparrow, and King Rail. I assume Tufted Duck and Eurasian Widgeon would be reported if seen in the area.

Also, not sure what opportunities exist to pursue pelagic species (Northern Fulmar more common in winter?).

Locations closest to lower manhattan would be ideal as opportunities for longer trips will be limited to one or two (thinking Montauk or seach of South Fork would be the primary choice for any extended birding opportunity at this time of year)

Thank you in advance for any information, opinions, tips.

Sorry to see no responses to this thread.

From ongoing online research, it would appear that Breezy Point would be a good (and relatively close) spot for Great Cormorant in winter. Jamaica Bay looks like a good secondary spot, and leads to possibility of Nelson's Sparrow as well.

Nelson's Sparrow i don't see much mention of. Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrows appear to be possible in Jamaica Bay through the winter, possibly Big Egg Marsh area.

King Rail range maps show breeding and wintering in Long Island. But i have not been able to find any specific locations to prioritize or focus on as yet. Certainly no shortage of marshes in the area to consider.

Would still appreciate any feedback from persons familiar with the area.

Cheers,

Hello Mustap,

Try googling "birds of Jamaica Bay brochure" to get a pdf download of which birds are to be seen at the Bay. The great cormorant was listed as uncommon in the winter, but you can peruse the brochure for more information.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Montauk Point

Thank you very much for the feedback. :t:

Bronx River- Sound Shore Audubon is having this trip:

Montauk All Day Trip
January 9
Looking for wintering ducks, alcids and other winter birds. Meet at 6:15 a.m. at Scarsdale Village Hall.

Hi Mustap,

Jamaica Bay would be the best bet. Breezy point is fine, but you won't see too many species. I did see some mergansers, a loon, and I did see Savanah Sparrow there one time. It is surrounded by development and probably not worth the long trip to get there. Jamaica Bay will be very interesting however and you never know what might stop by. You could easily spend more than one day there checking out all the different areas, whereas at Breezy point you can do in a morning or afternoon. If it was spring time, it might be a tougher choice because there is Fort Tilden and Floyd Bennett Field nearby. But, even in the winter, JBWR is quite interesting.

Of course, if you can, take the trip to Montauk. You'll see scoters etc. And if you take the hike, there are harbor seals hauling out north of the lighthouse. For some reason, they go to this frigid place in winter because its warmer than where they usually hang out!

Ft. Wadsworth appears to be a fairly reliable spot for Great Cormorant, and only 20 minute drive from manhattan. I have seen at least a couple people mention seeing them while on the staten island ferry as well (but not sure how reliable that would be).

Thank you scottbird and darth bangkok for your feedback as well.

Montauk's great for water bird and ducks, went out yesterday and saw a few eiders, mergansers, scoters, a loon, and a few long tailed ducks. Plus, the seals!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back