• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Nyjer seed and raw unsalted peanuts don't mix in a tube (1 Viewer)

Mr_K

I find that in my squirrel proof feeder, when I add nyjer seed the usual visitors stay away. Titmice, chickadees and house sparrows will eat the nuts and leave the nyjer. I have to add nuts to the portal by hand to get them back.

Any comments? Thanks.

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
When I use thistle, I always use either a thistle feeder or thistle sock and I never mix the thistle with another type of bird food.

Now you could try mixing the thistle if you have a flat plate type feeder but otherwise I would keep the thistle by itself. Where I am thistle seed is pricey so I sure don't want it wasted.

Mr_K

When I use thistle, I always use either a thistle feeder or thistle sock and I never mix the thistle with another type of bird food.

Now you could try mixing the thistle if you have a flat plate type feeder but otherwise I would keep the thistle by itself. Where I am thistle seed is pricey so I sure don't want it wasted.

Good point! I should use a thistle feeder for the nyjer.

It's interesting though how picky birds can be. I've seen a few through out nuts from the peanut tube portal, toss them to the ground, then find a new nut inside the portal, and eat it. Almost like us at a buffet table!

Kits

Picture Picker
Isn't an ordinary feeder's portals too large for niger seed? We use a niger feeder which has much smaller holes. Like KC, we don't want it wasted at the high price it is!

Mr_K

Isn't an ordinary feeder's portals too large for niger seed? We use a niger feeder which has much smaller holes. Like KC, we don't want it wasted at the high price it is!

Hello. My nyjer seed is thistle and hulled sunflower chips. It's so small that it slides down the tube before the peanuts and goes straight into the portals first. I stopped using it because my chickadees and titmice don't seem to eat it.

Thanks.

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Nyjer seed really needs its own type of feeder. It is a favourite with European Goldfinches and Greenfinches, not sure which are its main customers in the US.

Birds seem to take a little longer to catch on to the Nyger feeder but once they do, it remains a favourite.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread