• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oak Eggar advice please. (1 Viewer)

charly streets

Charlie Streets
Hi all,

Last October I collected an Oak Eggar early instar larva from local moorland in West Yorks. It is currently overwintering in my back garden and I was wondering when is a good time to bring it inside and start feeding it up - on bramble hopefully?

It seems to be withstanding the prolonged spell of frosts of late and I'm determined to do all I can to see it through to adulthood in 2011.Thanks for looking.

Charlie in the frozen north.

Attachments

• 1637 Oak (Northern) Eggar..jpg
    1637 Oak (Northern) Eggar..jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 576
Hi all,

Last October I collected an Oak Eggar early instar larva from local moorland in West Yorks. It is currently overwintering in my back garden and I was wondering when is a good time to bring it inside and start feeding it up - on bramble hopefully?

It seems to be withstanding the prolonged spell of frosts of late and I'm determined to do all I can to see it through to adulthood in 2011.Thanks for looking.

Charlie in the frozen north.

Leave it where it is Charly, disturbing any larvae during hibernation is almost certainly likely to lead to it's death.

I assume you have it in some sort of container of sorts. I'd leave it until late February and then start leaving Bramble leaves near the larvae. Replace every two days until you notice the larvae has become active. After that you will struggle to find enough leaves for it to eat. lol.

Harry

Many thanks Harry, I'll leave well alone for another couple of months and then hopefully there will be enough new bramble leaves about to keep it going. It's currently in a 1/2 litre yogurt pot with a layer of compost, moss and one or two leaves and twigs. It has nylon over the top and is in a well sheltered spot outside.

I'll let you know how I get on. I must say it's quite a daunting task keeping it alive for the next 18 months.

Many thanks Harry, I'll leave well alone for another couple of months and then hopefully there will be enough new bramble leaves about to keep it going. It's currently in a 1/2 litre yogurt pot with a layer of compost, moss and one or two leaves and twigs. It has nylon over the top and is in a well sheltered spot outside.

I'll let you know how I get on. I must say it's quite a daunting task keeping it alive for the next 18 months.

Charly,

Your larva should survive all right, but do make sure there are drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. They can handle all the weather winter can throw at them, but submarines they ain't.

There's always some Bramble leaves about, even in the depths of winter, they do, of course, have other foodplants which are acceptable, it's just a case of finding a supply of leaves. If things get desperate buy a couple or more Heather plants from your local garden centre. It'll happily munch away on those, and later you can plant them in your garden.

Harry

There's plenty of drainage holes in the pot Harry and I've even got one or two heather plants in the garden. The elderly lady next door has let her garden go a bit wild so I've also got plenty of bramble poking through the fence - all sorted :t:

Ok, the larva survived the winter and I brought it inside on Mar 1st. It soon started feeding on bramble but rather slowly. So much so that, despite moulting once (see pic.) it actually measures less than it did when I found it last year - what's going wrong?

I tried it on Ivy but it didn't want to know and I replace the food daily, I don't know what else to try.

Charlie.

Attachments

• 1637 Northern Eggar - larva..jpg
    1637 Northern Eggar - larva..jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 189
I currently have 4 Oak Eggar larvae and they are healthy. As Harry probably would say it's not a good idea to keep it inside. Keep it in a box outside with some soil it the bottom. I feed my on heather and they are happily eating.

I guess the size thing is normal. I doesn't eat for like 6 moths and it probably needs some energy during those moths. 2 of mine have moulted and they have changed appearance, doesn't like yours have?

Hello Charlie,

Good to hear at least one larvae survived the winter. It's still a little early for them to be out and about in the wild, and bringing them inside into warmer conditions won't help.

There are very few larvae that like Ivy and I'm not surprised it refused to feed on it.

There's plenty of trees, shrubs and bushes coming into leaf at the moment. Try Hawthorn, Willow, Heather, Sallow, in fact most leaves that are coming out.

The Oak Eggar is omniverous and will eat ALMOST anything. Offer it a small selection of locally available leaves and see which one it prefers.

It's not that hard once the caterpillar has decided what is the best tasting item on the menu. Good luck.

Harry

Many thanks for all your speedy replies!

I thought bringing it inside would "hurry" it on but from now on I'll keep it outside. I'll try it on some fresh new bramble shoots or Hawthorn if that doesn't work.

I can't believe I've fed it for seven weeks and it's actually shrunk!

Thanks again,

Charlie.

Well, after caring for it for almost 9 months it's finally spun up! Although as with the moulting process that took nearly 3 days to complete.I thought it had died when I saw the larva in amongst a handful of silk threads after the first 24 hours, so I was really pleased to see the finished article this morning.

It really took a liking to Ivy of all things and reached a whopping 69mm in length - I'm not sure if that determines what sex it is?

I suppose the best cause of action is to put the plant pot in a shaded and partially sheltered part of the garden with some nylon over the top and wait until next Apr/May before bringing it inside.

I'm a little concerned it might need spraying if it's a long hot summer?

Attachments

• 1637 Northern Eggar - larva..jpg
    1637 Northern Eggar - larva..jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 251
  • cocoon.jpg
    cocoon.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 195
Charlie, occasional 'misting' would help it stop drying out, especially the way tempertures are at present. The problem with keeping it in the garden are the amount of predators around from Voles and Mice to Hedgehogs. Better to bring it inside and keep it in a cool unheated north facing room until April next year.

Harry

Ok Harry. It didn't know if it would need exposing to the full rigours of a British winter to aid development.

I'll let you know what happens next April :t:

Ok Harry. It didn't know if it would need exposing to the full rigours of a British winter to aid development.

I'll let you know what happens next April :t:

Hello Charlie,

The pupae overwinter easily as long as they are kept cool or cold, the larvae are more difficult, but, as you have been successful in that stage, overwintering the pupae should be a doddle, if you keep it cool.

Harry

Hi Harry, it's me again. I think the pupa is still OK, I can feel it move around inside the cocoon if I gently rotate it. I've brought it indoors now, is it just a case of treating it like a hawkmoth pupa from now on?

Input from anyone most welcome.

Charlie.

Hello Charlie,

Put them into an emergence cage and lightly mist the cocoons every other day, keep them out of direct sunlight and away from any radiators. Check on them twice a day at least to see if anything has hatched. Females tend to emerge in the early morning, males a couple of hours later, but occasionally things don't always work out that way.

Good luck,

Harry

Last edited:
That's great Harry, thanks. Judging by the size of the cocoon I'd say it was a male which is nice as they look a little smarter than the females. After 18 months though I'd settle for either :)

TADAAAAAA!!! IT'S A BOY!!!

More than 19 months after first finding the small larva on local moorland on a cold and breezy October morning in 2009 I've somehow managed to look after it all this while and produce this magnificent male moth. It's been a (very) long task which has been made much easier with the help of Harry so many thanks to him.

Far too wet and windy these next couple of days for an outside shot but I'm more than happy to settle for this indoor one of moth and cocoon.

Great stuff!

Attachments

• 1637 Northern Eggar - male.jpg
    1637 Northern Eggar - male.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 260
TADAAAAAA!!! IT'S A BOY!!!

More than 19 months after first finding the small larva on local moorland on a cold and breezy October morning in 2009 I've somehow managed to look after it all this while and produce this magnificent male moth. It's been a (very) long task which has been made much easier with the help of Harry so many thanks to him.

Far too wet and windy these next couple of days for an outside shot but I'm more than happy to settle for this indoor one of moth and cocoon.

Great stuff!

Hello Charlie,

When's the christening? By the way mines a double whiskey. lol. Well done.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back