• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ochthoeca keaysi & Gallicolumba keayi (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Let's start on Ochthoeca keaysi & Gallicolumba keayi:

OD of Ochthoeca keaysi we can find here p. 226 or as in footnote referenced article On mammals collected in southeastern Peru, by Mr. H.H. Keays, with descriptions of new species. If we follow Ernst Hartert it is a synonym to Pseudotriccus simplex. As well he collected Sminthillus peruvianus a frog today available as Noblella peruviana.

So I agree to The Eponym Dictionary of Birds that his name might be Herbert H. Keays. I could not found evidence on Herbert apart from the fact that he collected near Juliaca and/or Inca Mines, Río Inambari. So the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names seems slightly wrong (no idea what the future BOW key will tell us).

keaysi H. A. Keays (fl. 1899) collector in Peru (syn.Pseudotriccus simplex).

Maybe anyone an idea about his first and middle name and life dates?

OD of Gallicolumba keayi we find here. Surely a M. W. A. Keay here as mentioned in Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names:

keayi W. A. Keay (fl. 1900) sugar planter on Negros, Philippines (Gallicolumba).

If William A. Keay as claimed in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds I have no idea, but why not.

As well maybe anyone can emlight us here as well with his middle name and life dates? Sorry but I should have checked here instead of open a thread on him. But not still not sure why William?

And we don't know if WILLIAM ALEXANDER Keay was ever in San Carlos even I agree the sugar relationship could count for him.

GEORGE BUCHANAN and WILLIAM ALEXANDER Keay , both of 25 , Bucklersbury , London . Improvements in sugar cane crushing mills

Last edited:
Couple of family trees in Ancestry. Both have some evidence of being the right chaps.

This Keays was in the Carribean in the 1890s

This Keay was born in Dundee as per the reference in the previous thread and travelled to Manila more than once most recently in 1912.

Herbert Henry Keays
Birth: 15/07/1864 London Middlesex Ontario Canada
Death: 25/12/1931 San Diego California USA

WILLIAM ALEXANDER Keay

Birth: 1851 Dundee Angus Scotland
Death: 06/03/1929 Surrey England

P

Last edited:
Just to add what The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:

Pygmy Tyrant sp. Ochthoeca keaysi F. M. Chapman, 1901 NCR [Alt. Hazel-fronted Pygmy Tyrant; JS Pseudotriccus simplex]
Herbert H. Keays (DNF) was a mining engineer who collected in Peru for the AMNH, including a new species of swift (1899). He was associated with the Inca Mine in Peru and eventually settled in Prescott, Arizona offering to continue as a collector there for J. A. Allen (q.v.). Two mammals are named after him.

Apart from the fact why this time the author as F. M. Chapman and not as usaual only as Chapman in this case the H. (for the middle name) is more correct than the A. in The Key to Scientific Names.

So the other entry in The Eponym Dictionary of Birds is:

Keay's Bleeding-heart Gallicolumba keayi W. E. Clarke, 1900 [Alt. Negros Bleeding-heart]
William A. Keay (DNF) was an English sugar planter (about 1880–1900) at San Carlos, Negros (Philippines).

So nothing new to above just for the sake of completness in one thread.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back