• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths - 2021 (1 Viewer)

JWN Andrewes

Poor Judge of Pasta.
Trap wasn't exactly hopping with moths this morning, but its contents had a very autumnal feel, with singles of Blair's Shoulder-knot, Rosy & Black Rustics, Lunar Underwing and a NFY Red-line Quaker. Silver Y, Large Yellow Underwing and Common Marbled & Red-green Carpets made up the balance, the latter the only species to go past single individuals, with a grand total of two.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_174106.jpg
    IMG_20211002_174106.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 7
After a day of rain, a night of unbridled joy on my patio doors in NE.London.👍🍷

Attachments

• F4E0CFDC-DDD4-4C5D-ABA5-C25847BB01EB.jpeg
    F4E0CFDC-DDD4-4C5D-ABA5-C25847BB01EB.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Oof!!! Bravo Ken. Not jealous at all here. Oh no.
I’ve been “hammering” the garden birding as it’s now the Firecrest time frame, with no joy so far!…. this is beyond my wildest dreams!
If you think it looks interesting from beneath, seeing it in flight bouncing off the patio doors is a totally different experience!
Like a moth from a different planet, essentially
a fluttering black & white apparition….I’ll stop now and have my last 🍷👍

I’ve been “hammering” the garden birding as it’s now the Firecrest time frame, with no joy so far!…. this is beyond my wildest dreams!
If you think it looks interesting from beneath, seeing it in flight bouncing off the patio doors is a totally different experience!
Like a moth from a different planet, essentially
a fluttering black & white apparition….I’ll stop now and have my last 🍷👍
What's the status in London Ken?

It has a large range in Europe, I've had it right up in St Petersburg as you might know.

I’ve no idea Andy, save I recall someone on London Wiki Birds reported seeing one within the last couple of weeks.
For me the most mesmerising thing was seeing it in flight!
Essentially the largest moth I’ve seen (perhaps the white ground colour with black streaking made it look even more impressive).
Certainly no doubt enhanced by the 400w security light!
Presume you’ve seen them flying?

Cheers

I’ve no idea Andy, save I recall someone on London Wiki Birds reported seeing one within the last couple of weeks.
For me the most mesmerising thing was seeing it in flight!
Essentially the largest moth I’ve seen (perhaps the white ground colour with black streaking made it look even more impressive).
Certainly no doubt enhanced by the 400w security light!
Presume you’ve seen them flying?

Cheers
I have, I don't think they're (much) any bigger than Red Underwing or even Old Lady?

Last edited:
I have, I don't think they're (much) any bigger than Red Underwing or even Old Lady?
They are noticeably larger as I've seen images of both underwings side by side. Becoming more frequent in the London area & the south-east, though I'm yet to see one myself.

They are noticeably larger as I've seen images of both underwings side by side. Becoming more frequent in the London area & the south-east, though I'm yet to see one myself.
How frequent have CN become in London A?

Cheers

How frequent have CN become in London A?

Cheers
They seem to be turning up in some of the suburbs now. Not sure if they've been found in the inner city, but certainly there seems to be a year on year increase. Les Evan-Hill who traps on Wimbledon Common now gets some catches each year along with Dark Crimson Underwing.

Well. Please put all us non-lepidopterists out of our misery. What the bloody hell is it? CN OK but what is CN?

Ok. A question.
It would appear that this spp is also called Catocala fraxini. This name follows the standard binomial format ie Genus with Upper case and species, lower case.
Most of the references I can see on the web, and your answer give the spp with upper case.
Why? Is this just a British idiosyncrasy? Something rare therefore upper case it? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Fof

No CNs under any name here, but my first attempt of the month yielded ten moths of six species.
Garden Rose Tortrix
Large Yellow Underwing
Lunar Underwing (4)
Red-line Quaker (NFY)
Beaded Chestnut (2, NFY)
Angle Shades
Up to a total of 207 species for the year now, just about what I ended up on last year.

Steve

Ok. A question.
It would appear that this spp is also called Catocala fraxini. This name follows the standard binomial format ie Genus with Upper case and species, lower case.
Most of the references I can see on the web, and your answer give the spp with upper case.
Why? Is this just a British idiosyncrasy? Something rare therefore upper case it? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Fof
Can you illustrate what you mean, link?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back