• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (1 Viewer)

Rubia

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes
01/10. The month opened with a bang. One moth - a Pale Mottled Willow.
Things can only get better.

Last edited:
Didn't put the trap on last night but still got 1 ;)

A Common Marbled Carpet in the utility room this morning - a moth that was on the back door last night flew in when I opened the door to go out to the car briefly, but didn't relocate at the time.

Eleven moths last night, two each of Common Marbled Carpet, Snout & Barred sallow, and singles of Garden & Red-green Carpets, Brimstone, Lunar Underwing & Shuttle-shaped Dart.

Trapping definitely off the agenda here for a while too.
Currently looking for a source of gopher wood.

Trap is on - plenty of moths still needed. Conditions not great of course.

Typically unexciting. Moths, no water in the trap, so presumably it didn't rain as much as the forecast.

Black Rustic 1
Setaceous Hebrew Character 1
Square Spot Rustic 3 (looking worn now)
Lunar Underwing 3

First occasion with no Large Yellow Underwing for months, although haven't searched around the trap area yet.

Sunday was largely mild and the wind eventually dropped so I put the light on. Shouldn't have bothered, 1 Large Yellow Undwerwing, that's probably it for me now.

05/10. Ran the MV for four and a half hours. Very windy at start but eased off towards the end. 16 moths of 7 species. Netted a new garden moth - Mallow, which was around for a while and showing no inclination to go to the trap. Rest were Black Rustic, Lunar Underwing, London Dowd, Common Plume, Setaceous Hebrew Character and Lesser Yellow Underwing.

05/10. Ran the MV for four and a half hours. Very windy at start but eased off towards the end. 16 moths of 7 species. Netted a new garden moth - Mallow, which was around for a while and showing no inclination to go to the trap. Rest were Black Rustic, Lunar Underwing, London Dowd, Common Plume, Setaceous Hebrew Character and Lesser Yellow Underwing.

Had to look up London Dowd as I'd never heard of it, but then I saw the scientific name I knew the moth-never seen that name probably because few of the micros have long established vernacular names.

Only used London Dowd cos it was a lot easier to type at that hour in the morning! I know most moth-ers don't use vernaculars for most micros. The Norfolk Moth website; that I use constantly, I have it open all the time I trap (its brilliant): seems to give them for most species I think.

Last night:

At the trap around 10pm - 1 Common Marbled Carpet, 1 Square Spot Rustic

This morning - outside the trap - 1 SHCharacter, 1 Autumnal Rustic
This morning - inside the trap - 1 SHCharacter, 1 Feathered Ranunculus, 1 LBAM

Had to google the 'looking for a source of gopher wood too' lol.

It's mild but wet and windy still and didn't think to set the trap up earlier (plus the egg boxes wee still drying out) so not trapping here tonight.
Feathered Ranunculus from the other night - rather different from previous examples, but quite nice.

Attachments

• feathered.jpg
    feathered.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 19
Last night - was reasonably hopeful as a mild night (15C forecast in Falmouth! although would be fair bit lower out here). Wet and windy though.

Black Rustic 4
Feathered Ranunculus 2
Lunar Underwing 1
Square Spot Rustic 1
Large Yellow Underwing 1

Also a LBAM on the side of the car in the daytime (parked next to the hedge).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back