• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (2 Viewers)

6C, bit breezy and showers overnight. 5 of 5.

Angle Shades 1 (saw it go in last night)
Dark Chestnut 1
Feathered Ranunculus 1
Beaded Chestnut 1 outside am
Turnip Moth 1 outside am

Not much wind but clear and cold.
4 moths. 2 Black Rustic, Beaded Chestnut and a Nov Moth agg.

Still hoping for Red-line Quaker, Satellite, Dark Chestnut, Sprawler, December Moth, Mottled Umber and Winter Moth.

Last edited:
Moon is half full too which doesn't help. December Moths (which never tried for) hopefully too! Some wilder but milder weather coming later this week.

Quiet again last night, but a new moth for me nonetheless - Winter Moth (another one for you to add to the list Dan). Otherwise just a Red-green Carpet, two November Moth aggs and a Red-line Quaker.

Attachments

• 1799 Winter Moth.JPG
    1799 Winter Moth.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 16
Cool. Think Satellite and Winter Moth the only new ones since. Looking at 'What's flying tonight' eg the Norfolk version there are still lots of species (including some rather nice ones) out there and still possible both personally and for the joint effort (don't think I've ever trapped late autumn before)

Last edited:
Cool. Think Satellite and Winter Moth the only new ones since. Looking at 'What's flying tonight' eg the Norfolk version there are still lots of species (including some rather nice ones) out there and still possible both personally and for the joint effort (don't think I've ever trapped late autumn before)

Not much time to add them though, you'll be starting over on Monday.

Not much time to add them though, you'll be starting over on Monday.

Ha, in my mind I was wondering if we'd hit 100 before the end of the year. And with the decent milder weather and numbers a week or so back thought they would keep pouring in. But yes should really start afresh in November. Not sure but may motivate people to keep the traps open ...

;)

Weather tonight isn't marvellous, and heavy rain coming in at 1am - strongish winds from the South/SW so will leave the trap on for all those continental immigrants ...

Just wish I'd managed to get the trap out at the beginning of lockdown ...

I'm sure my first blank night will hit soon, but was spared last night by one each of Red-green Carpet & Figure of Eight.

Attachments

• IMG_8775.JPG
    IMG_8775.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_8783.JPG
    IMG_8783.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 25
Close thing last night. 7C minimum. Checked a few times in the evening, 1 Shieldbug, not seen one recently.

In the trap -

Beaded Chestnut 1

Outside, searching the vegetation -

Dark Sword-grass 1
Yellow-line Quaker 1

Close thing last night. 7C minimum. Checked a few times in the evening, 1 Shieldbug, not seen one recently.

In the trap -

Beaded Chestnut 1

Outside, searching the vegetation -

Dark Sword-grass 1
Yellow-line Quaker 1

We need to know what species of shieldbug! It's like saying moth.

Doh! Should have written lower case ;) I had half a mind to photograph it but thought better. Bright green with a darker brown/black bit-to-the-rear-end-of-the-top. Pinkish white cast to the underside.

Also one fly sp. in the trap, and last few days a couple of ground beetles under the trap, mating in one instance.

Will try harder ...

Clear and very chilly last night. 2 moths.
1 Beaded Chestnut in trap and 1 Nov Moth agg outside it.

Shieldbugs - I've had Hawthorn and Common Green attracted to the trap since I started, but on the outside. Yesterday while pruning some low branches off Lawson's Cypress I saw lots of Juniper Shieldbugs but even though one tree is only 2 metres away they don't seem to be attracted to the light.

Caddis flies - I'm told there is a lot of effort going into producing a list of caddis attracted to traps but I'm not sure where or by whom at present. They all look a bit too similar to me on the whole.

One November Moth agg this morning that effortlessly evaded my pot from its window perch, dammit. Nothing in the trap again.

Supposedly dry tonight, probably give it another go.

John

Hopefully the warmer nights at the end of the week will be dry and calm enough to run my trap - have not had it out for a week now.

A friend with a better garden, and less fussed about the weather, keeps showing me things that I could still get new for the year. Yesterday it was Merveille de Jour, Red-green Carpet and December Moth and other recent ones include Grey Shoulder-knot and November Moth agg. Blair's Shoulder-knot is usually my last of the year, and yet to catch one this time.

Steve

27/10. 2 moths. LBAM and Nov Moth agg. (will gen det later).
Tonight will be too cold to bother. A few warmer nights coming over the weekend but currently looking like they might be wet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back