• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (1 Viewer)

Last night was forecast 20mph winds, gusting up to 35mph. Drier and gauge said was 8C this morning.

Dark Sword-grass 1 (different individual to last)
Beaded Chestnut 1

Outside - a grey geo flew off before could get a look at it.

Plus a shieldbug nearby (photo to follow ;) ) Coming nights milder, but continuing wet and windy.

Another tick last night - Mottled Umber. Otherwise, just a couple of November aggs.

The next week is looking very wet, so an enforced hiatus looks on the cards.

Attachments

• IMG_8892.JPG
    IMG_8892.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 17
A quiet night weather-wise unfortunately went clear early on so I think the waxing moon is largely responsible for another empty trap this morning (2 Caddis Fly sp).

Try again tonight!

John

I had this scruffy thing in my trap last night. Made me scratch my head a bit but came to the conclusion it is a Green-brindled Crescent ab capucina. I hope I've got that correct. Not widely publicised in the guides.

I also had a spanking Merveille du Jour on the trap, not in it - made my day!

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_2917 (Medium).JPEG
    IMG_2917 (Medium).JPEG
    139.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2920 (Medium).JPEG
    IMG_2920 (Medium).JPEG
    164.3 KB · Views: 15
Having done gen dets on my Nov Moth aggs from last three nights they are all November Moths Epirrata dilutata.

Last night 28th - min was 8C, eggboxes still dry. 5 of 4. Struggling with getting up early since the clocks changed - generally already light when I get out there.

Silver Y 2
Black Rustic 1
Red-line Quaker 1
Turnip 1

All within the top 25 'flying tonight' on NorfolkMoths.

As an aside, drying wet eggboxes in the tumble dryer works reasonably well as a last resort.

Last edited:
As an aside, drying wet eggboxes in the tumble dryer works reasonably well as a last resort.

Oh, I eat more than enough eggs for that not to be a problem!

Didn't trap last night on account of the forecast. Regret it with hindsight as the rain didn't start till late so I could have run till bed time at least.

Oh, I eat more than enough eggs for that not to be a problem!

Didn't trap last night on account of the forecast. Regret it with hindsight as the rain didn't start till late so I could have run till bed time at least.

It's the big trays - they are at a premium. Also find most eggboxes have a more pointed profile on the middle bit, which takes up more room. Regularly tumble drying will wreck them eventually though I'm sure.

It's the big trays - they are at a premium. Also find most eggboxes have a more pointed profile on the middle bit, which takes up more room. Regularly tumble drying will wreck them eventually though I'm sure.

Yep, I like a 15 egg tray (4 in fact) as part of my stacks in the trap, and eventually they do deteriorate. COVID-19 seems to have made them elusive, but I got a new one the other day after nothing but 12 egg trays for months. Woo hoo! All I have to do to get it into service is eat 15 eggs.....

John

In Lidl's earlier, not our regular but we swap around - noted all but one type of egg were packed in plastic eggboxes! :eek!:

Might have keep in mind and may have to start stockpiling cardboard ones for future use/black market sales.

In Lidl's earlier, not our regular but we swap around - noted all but one type of egg were packed in plastic eggboxes! :eek!:

Might have keep in mind and may have to start stockpiling cardboard ones for future use/black market sales.

Or get in to papier mache and cover the plastic ones?

Would be kinda fun ... not done papier mache for decades ... ;)

Mild (12C) out there now, couldn't see the moon, but pretty blowy. Oh for a mild, calm, moonless, dry night.

Mild (12C) out there now, couldn't see the moon, but pretty blowy. Oh for a mild, calm, moonless, dry night.

100% on that one.

13-14C here, cloudy so no moon, no rain but entirely ruined by a blow of 17mph. Result one moth - a Privet Tortrix.

Egg boxes - I prefer the domestic sized ones to the large trays. I get all my colleagues at work to bring in their empties. I get 6, 10 and 12 egg boxes this way. I throw away the lids and use the bottom portion. These you can use rather like Lego bricks to construct a wall around the inside of the base making refuges for the moths and leaving the centre free. I find the advantage is on removal you are taking out small quantities of moths to record and release without causing to much disturbance to the rest of the catch.

Last edited:
12C the minimum here - mildest for a while. Think it was 20 - 25mph winds gusting to 38. Lots of water in bottom of trap as rain came in the early hours. Metal dustbin lid blew off the dustbin in the night.

4 moths in the trap though - 2 Silver Y (looked diff to previous), Beaded Chestnut (worn) and Yellow-line Quaker, plus again an excitable geo which didn't give me a chance of a proper look- either CMCarpet or maybe even a November moth I think.

Warm here last night too but also wet and windy. I ended October with 21 Moths but nothing new. November Moth agg, Sprawler, Brindled Green 2, Black Rustic 3, Beaded Chestnut 4, Brick 2, Barred Sallow 2, Brown-spot Pinion, Large and Lesser Yellow Underwing, Yellow-line Quaker 2, and a Blastobasis lacticolella.

Just 28 species for me in October. Year list now on 386 including aggs.

After some blank nights, it was a relief to find two moths in the trap this morning. One was a Lesser Yellow Underwing and the other I believe to be a Cypress Carpet but not whole-heartedly as it is more intensely coloured than any I've seen before.

John

Attachments

• 7T8A8018.JPG
    7T8A8018.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 7T8A8022.JPG
    7T8A8022.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 23
After some blank nights, it was a relief to find two moths in the trap this morning. One was a Lesser Yellow Underwing and the other I believe to be a Cypress Carpet but not whole-heartedly as it is more intensely coloured than any I've seen before.

Well, zero experience, but it matches up well and nothing else it can be? Nice colour variation!

Wasn't raining quite so hard earlier, so the trap is now ON ... good move or bad move, we'll see (winds up to 38mph with 55mph gusts by dawn ;) ) Good direction though, mild, cloud cover and not raining all the time ...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back