• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd Bird on Feeder in mid August in Washington DC Area (1 Viewer)

SarahNoVa

I live in the Washington DC area. In mid August I noticed this bird on my feeder eating sunflower chips. It was on the feeder twice that day and each time stayed for a long time (didn't flit away and come back). I took these photos. Later I removed the screen in hopes of a clearer shot, but it never returned to the feeder. The shape of the head, narrow neck, the crest down the back and the long, slightly curved bill caught my attention. As I recall, the bill was yellowish. Its belly was light grayish and had black or brown spots. From what I could see, its back looked rather drab, though my viewing angle wasn't great. A staff member at the Audubon Society wondered if it was an immature pileated woodpecker, but the crest wasn't red. Its feet were grasping the underside of the feeder. I estimate its length was about 6 inches head to tip of tail.

Attachments

• IMG_5481.jpg
    IMG_5481.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_5482.jpg
    IMG_5482.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5483.jpg
    IMG_5483.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Interesting possibility. The bird was too big to get its head into the feeder hole using the perch under the hole. I would think a wren could, as the sparrows and finches who frequent the feeder can. It had long legs and grasped the underside of the feeder with them, the way cardinals and woodpeckers at the feeder do. I'm enlarging the photo to try to make out an eyestripe.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards a Carolina Wren as well.

And BTW, a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum ;)

It sure doesn't match Carolina Wrens I see. The tuft of feathers on back of the head, the head shape, and long beak that doesn't taper from the head - all look different.

Interesting possibility. The bird was too big to get its head into the feeder hole using the perch under the hole. I would think a wren could, as the sparrows and finches who frequent the feeder can. It had long legs and grasped the underside of the feeder with them, the way cardinals and woodpeckers at the feeder do. I'm enlarging the photo to try to make out an eyestripe.

Carolina Wrens are all over my suet feeder here... upside down and all. It is not unusual for them.

Definitely not a wren. My bet is a Hairy Woodpecker. A cheerful little fellow who follows the bird feeder circuit in the Dc area. I see them all the time on my feeder in Springfield VA.

Definitely not a wren. My bet is a Hairy Woodpecker. A cheerful little fellow who follows the bird feeder circuit in the Dc area. I see them all the time on my feeder in Springfield VA.

A Downy Woodpecker wouldn’t have that downcurved bill. It’s definitely a Carolina Wren.

We have a coupla Starlings in similiar condition and they look a different species, whether it is a skin or mite infection i don’t know but that looks like a Carolina Wren to me:t:

Laurie -

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back