• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd BOP NEast London (1 Viewer)

Well the consensus seems to be a Red Kite x Large Gull hybrid...I’m duly impressed...it’s been most entertaining.😂👍

Hello Ken,

I hope this doesnt come out as an offense, you know, but I still hope for this:
Is it possible to see all original (=straight out of the camera) pictures?

This might doesnt help with confident identification, but might well help with the question I asked for.

Apart from ID of this bird, your pictures highlights one problem very well:
I got the feeling, that the best fit is a Red Kite, and than looked for reasons. And I judged the features, that gave this impression for real
  • kinked wingtip
  • whitish inner primarie window
  • orange colouration, including whitish tail with an orange-buffish hue just visible. Yes your bird is at the paler end of RK tail-colour, but easy within variation
  • your impression thats a BOP
while I skipped the features, that doesnt fit, as results of picture/sharpening artefacts or single picture effects
  • short tail
  • contrasting black secondaries
  • that kinked wing can easily be the result of dropped inner primaries, moulting gulls can then give a similar kinked wings-impression, too.

But the placement of a feature in one of those two caterogies is only made with my aim to support my gut-feeling (I just wrote identification, but thats the wrong word here, thanks John Cantelo). This is surely not usefull with a picture of this quality, as the result is with a high degree of certainty an identification, that isnt backed by valuable features. Yes it can be useful with easier or better quality pictures, but not here. As always ...

Given that far better photos can still distort our perception of a bird's jizz, shape and colour I think it's tilting at windmills to pick on aspects of this photo and imagine they will in any way bring us closer to resolving its identity or tell us anything very interesting. Our brains are always good at picking out patterns .... even when they're not really there.

FWIW Alexander, here are three straight out of the can without any correction apart from being heavily cropped.

Cheers

Attachments

• P2520951.jpeg      BOP1..jpeg
    P2520951.jpeg BOP1..jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 82
  • P2520952.jpeg   BOP2..jpeg
    P2520952.jpeg BOP2..jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 82
  • P2520953.jpeg    BOP3..jpeg
    P2520953.jpeg BOP3..jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 81
Yes, everything is said already, but I just wanted to thank Ken for adding the original pictures. I hoped for less "artefact-damaged" pictures, but they just support the statement, that heavy artefacts of the blown up pixels alters details (not enough pixel coverage for that resolution), so the bird changed from possible Red kite to unidable to me.
No offense to Tom: with your level of experience it might still be an unidable bird with the impression of a Red Kite and to all others

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back