• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd eyecup setting. (1 Viewer)

CliveP

So I recently discovered that several of my bins work much better for me with the right eyecup set one click more out that the left eyecup.

Mostly with my small bins like my 8x20, 10x25 and even 8x32.

I think for some reason I normally hold the left bin side higher than the right and so just having the left eyecup set lower lets me position the bin for a much more relaxed view.

Anyone else tried or noticed this? I think it's so useful that I will be doing this from now on if it works better for the particular bin.

I haven't tried it with all my bins just ones that for some reason I found easier to use this way. It's looks odd but the result is more important I think.

I'll probably have to start explaining it to people who borrow the bin or they might not notice?

If you have a bin slightly difficult to align it might be something to try yourself as long as the bin has suitably adjustable eyecups.

Anyone else do this?

Whatever works for you is good but there is a risk that you might end up looking off-axis and encounter chromatic aberration in bins and circumstances where you have not seen it before.

Trying bins out in many 'normal' circumstances you might not encounter this but out in the wilds where you might end up sitting or standing in different postures including peering around bushes or rocks or just twisting around, it is sometimes easy to misalign your bins even with eyecups in conventional positions.

Good luck.

Lee

Maybe I'm deformed? (with some bins).

Thought I'd get that in before.....

I have used this technique outdoors with two of the bins already and in fact they were difficult to use with the eyecups set evenly. I noticed that I was pressing the left eyecup to my eye while holding the right cup away from my right eye so the obvious thing to do was lower the left eyecup and hey presto easy centred full view that I wasn't getting easily beforehand. No CA issue at all in fact the effect is very dramatic especially with my Pentax 8x20ED in that it gives me a fantastic big view that I just wasn't getting before, almost like a different bin. It can help a bit with blackouts also. Maybe it's something to do with whichever is the leading eye and mine seems to be the left.

I like the Pentax eyecups as they aren't set click positions so I can then exactly set each eyecup extension but the click stop versions work well also with one click difference between the two sides.

I don't really know why I didn't cotton on to this long before now?

Seems so far it's just me. The Pioneer. 8-P:t:

Last edited:
I have the right eyecup extended a couple of mm more than the left. It could be that my glasses do not sit perfectly evenly on my face, or that my face may not be fully symmetric.

I also sometimes adjust the eyecup extension through the day - I think the change to slightly different view can helps if your eyes are starting to get tired.

Welcome to the club. :t:

It's the latest fashion thing in birding, almost like wearing hats backwards or your trousers down or back to front.

I suspect there are more out there with not quite symmetric skulls but maybe they've got a sort of eyecups must be set evenly compulsive thing 8-P;)

It's certainly easy to try out at any rate. I'm set on it now as it seems to work with quite a lot of my bins.

[So I recently discovered that several of my bins work much better for me with the right eyecup set one click more out that the left eyecup.]

Nope, it's not odd at all, just effective. Eyepoint is determined by the needed dioptric accommodation. With dioptric strengths probably being different for each eye, it stands to reason the eyepoint would differ, also. :cat:

Last edited:
[So I recently discovered that several of my bins work much better for me with the right eyecup set one click more out that the left eyecup.]

Nope, it's not odd at all, just effective. Eyepoint is determined by the needed dioptric accommodation. With dioptric strengths probably being different for each eye, it stands to reason the eyepoint would differ, also. :cat:

Phew, I thought it was that my skull eyesockets were a bit wonky though I'm sure they are slightly different in everyone but I guess if it also happens with folk who wear glasses then it probably is your explanation, .... unless their ears are a bit wonky 8-P

Whatever it is, it is effective and so means all those early bins with non-adjustable eyecups could not cater for this.

Anyone else tried this and found it useful or not?

Phew, I thought it was that my skull eyesockets were a bit wonky though I'm sure they are slightly different in everyone but I guess if it also happens with folk who wear glasses then it probably is your explanation, .... unless their ears are a bit wonky 8-P

Whatever it is, it is effective and so means all those early bins with non-adjustable eyecups could not cater for this.

Anyone else tried this and found it useful or not?

Phew? You’re not out of the woods yet. In a perfect world, the glasses WOULD take care of it. On the other hand, if we lived in a perfect world, we wouldn’t NEED glasses! You probably ARE a little “Wonky.” But welcome to the club; many of us are. It’s relative, but hardly fatal. During the year I was doomed to ophthalmic, I measured a lady who had a right eye considerably higher and farther from the centerline than the other. :cat:

My left ear is slightly lower than my right. Apparently few people have a symmetric face, but it is very hard to see for yourself. This according to my optician who always has to bend my glasses a bit in order for them to sit more or less straight on my face.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back