• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Offshore - 61-20.4N, 003-57.7E (1 Viewer)

Offman

Hi Folks,
Well here we are again, in the Duva Field.
Been here a few days, weather not windy, Southerlys becoming Easterlys but plenty rain.
Just seen a single Starling circling the vessel, there's also 4 other vessels here along with an FPSO and a drilling rig, were all lit up like Christmas trees, so we'll see what we get in the days to come.

Oh looking forward to that Offman. It's great to hear what's moving about offshore.

Had a Snipe, in the small hours before dawn, then a single Gannet this afternoon.
The weather was lousy last night, wind and rain, so we missed the spectacular display of the Northern Lights....

Good Evening,
So with Easterlys setting in, I'm getting all excited, but with the clear weather they are passing us by. I have noticed over the past couple of nights that if we get a shower come over us, small groups of birds are circling us, before being lured away by much brighter vessels, the rig in particular I think.
Managed to spot a Skylark in a small group, but at night, with orange lights, difficult to id properly, calls indicate Wagtails, others I'm not so hot on lol.

Over the past few nights, been hearing calls, finally attached call to bird, Redwings, saw 1 this afternoon. Having not been in Scotland for many winters now, completely forgotten that one :-O
Managed to get some photos of a Meadow Pipet later on.
As far as seabirds go, occasional Kittiwakes, Herring and Common Gulls.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 29
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 25
Some better cropped images

Attachments

• GT_01462_red.png
    GT_01462_red.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 27
  • GT_01463_red.JPG
    GT_01463_red.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 27
  • GT_01464_red.jpg
    GT_01464_red.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 26
Morning Folks,
Nothing major to report
Small groups of Redwings passing by, I keep hearing their calls at night, otherwise very quiet out here.

We had a Wheatear yesterday

Attachments

• IMG-20201006-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20201006-WA0008.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG-20201006-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20201006-WA0009.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 17
Switching shifts from 18:00 -06:00 to 24:00 - 12:00 has paid off.
A Yellow/browed Warbler and a Robin this morning.

Well, its 03:50 here, pitch black, blowing 35knts from the North, with occasional showers.
Just had a Starling desperately trying to land on the bridge wing.
Fingers crossed.......

Ghosts in the night
Wind from the NW, 20 knots, light rain showers
Redwings calling and then....
a flock of Geese, they came fairly close, I managed a count of around 30.
From their call, White-fronted, never came close enough for a proper id

Hi Folks,
Back home now, weather was bad last few days, but still the Redwings were passing.
As a welcome home, got a Fieldfare in my garden
Cheers to you all, stay safe

Hi, I was on a semi-submersible in the middle of the Timor Sea where I saw a Diamond Dove sitting on the top of a shipping container. The rig had been in position for sometime. Whether it came out on a workboat, flown on its own or what. Anyway cameras are frowned upon so it was a note book entry somewhere now hidden among the rest of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back