• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Offshore Portugal (1 Viewer)

Offman

Good Morning Folks,
So, back at sea, some 17km off the coast not far from Porto doing some cable works.
Gannet is a regular sighting, also picked up a Swallow yesterday. Approaching our work location, I saw a dark bird with what looked like a bit of debris, as we got closer it became a Great Skua, with the corpse of an adult Gannet, looking around I saw 2 more corpses, both adults. There are local fishing boats in the area, so I'm wondering if these birds have been killed by local fishermen when they are after their catch?

kb57

Europe
Might be worth reporting to SPEA? Portuguese waters I believe are very important for gannets outside breeding season.
Really interested to see what you record out there, have been on several pelagic trips out of Sagres in SW, but don't think much if any pelagic birding gets done off Porto - although seawatching from headlands off Peniche near Lisbon and further north in Galicia I understand is great. Band-rumped (Grant's) storm-petrel might be a possibility where you are as they breed on the Berlengas.

Offman

So, I sent an email to SPEA with my observation of the Gannet corpses, in the meantime, yesterday ended up with a House Martin and a Red-rumped Swallow.

Offman

Chiff Chaff yesterday, very quiet otherwise, usual Gulls and Gannets, we have light Northerlys for the moment, wind does not look like it will come from the south until Thursday.

Offman

So, very unexpectedly, end of project. Were all going home tomorrow, with a PCR test of course.
Not much else to report, fingers crossed my next report will be from Taiwan at the end of the month. We shall see, take care and be safe .

Users who are viewing this thread