• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oh crap, the diopter knob is gone (1 Viewer)

Canyac

Denmark
Well that sucks.20210927_092327.jpg20210927_092320.jpg

I bought the victory pocket last winter. Love it, often sits my in jacket pocket for walks.

Well, I pulled it out today, and thought diopter was off.. and well, the knob was gone...

Contacted the seller already, hope there is an easy fix for it.

Other than that, I am really happy with it!

I think I'd be teaching the universe new swear words.

Hope you get a speedy remedy, as that is absolutely NOT what you want or need. At all.

Is the gooey stuff shown in the photos glue, or is it grease? I assume the former and that the knob is simply glued on. Kind of how the hinge cap of the FL series was just glued on. Hmm. Along with having slightly larger strap lugs, I hope this will be fixed in a mark 2 version some day.

--AP

Some things really need an extra dab of glue. For example my friends 2002 Volvo gear-lever knob which is glued on. If the glue fails you find the knob is holding a spring loaded assembly in place!
All that Swedish engineering compromised by a bit of araldite 😆

Welcome to the club. It used to be that before the Japanese exported something MITI had to certify that it was toughened up to western standards, a lesson Zeiss chose to forget. I think some small japanese small binoculars have a captive diopter knob, but the single bridge design here pushes it to the end where it sticks out unsecured.

Edmund

Last edited:
Happened exactly the same to my Zeiss Terra 8x25 which had a similarly glued knob. I had to send them to Zeiss for repair.

I contactes the seller yesterday, and they seemed totally chill, and ensured me that a solution will be found. I did manage to find the knob lying around at home. Even the tiny ~0,5mm ball that gives the "0 position feedback".

I think the blobs are grease, though I didnt check.

I am hoping for a speedy and satisfactory fix too.. really bloody annoying.

I have this binocular…any known reason for these failures?
I first thought this was a design issue, but in the past Zeiss already had a previous model that was physically similar which as far as I can see didn't suffer from dropped off knobs, so some new factor must be at play here.

My knob seems to have dropped off when the binocular was carried over the shoulder in an urban setting, I cannot remember bumping it but everything is possible.

There are some tests around of the Conquest that show that Zeiss can certainly make some robust instruments.

Edmund

Last edited:
As I understand my conversation today with my dealer, my diopter has been fixed and the instrument sent back on time, but after the instrument was sent out an eyepiece was damaged. However in due course a new eyepiece will be sent out by Zeiss as a special express package, taking only ten days to arrive from Germany to France and then my instrument will be restored to function by the dealer and returned to me.

I have been using an 8x42 since May in lieu of the 8x25, and am getting used to the larger pupils :)

Edmund

As I understand my conversation today with my dealer, my diopter has been fixed and the instrument sent back on time, but after the instrument was sent out an eyepiece was damaged. However in due course a new eyepiece will be sent out by Zeiss as a special express package, taking only ten days to arrive from Germany to France and then my instrument will be restored to function by the dealer and returned to me.

I have been using an 8x42 since May in lieu of the 8x25, and am getting used to the larger pupils :)

Edmund
Update: Just got a call from dealer, instrument repaired and ready for collection. Faster than promised!!!

Edmund

Update: Just got a call from dealer, instrument repaired and ready for collection. Faster than promised!!!

Edmund
Good to see a, hopefully, good outcome and return in the condition you expect from Zeiss. I've had my 10x25 Victory pockets for probably 10 years now and nary an issue. You just don't expect stuff like this to happen. I did have the little Zeiss logo disappear from my first gen. 8x42 Terras that I'd bought used from a member here. It took some time but Zeiss was finally able to send me a new one which I glued in place (or was it self-stick?). But a diopter? Wow.

Good to see a, hopefully, good outcome and return in the condition you expect from Zeiss. I've had my 10x25 Victory pockets for probably 10 years now and nary an issue. You just don't expect stuff like this to happen. I did have the little Zeiss logo disappear from my first gen. 8x42 Terras that I'd bought used from a member here. It took some time but Zeiss was finally able to send me a new one which I glued in place (or was it self-stick?). But a diopter? Wow.
Unfortunately this didn't go as planned. I went to get the binoculars, and on examination although they appeared functional they appeared to be badly marked by an extremely amateurish repair job, and their resale value effectively destroyed. The dealer concurs with my view as he carefully assessed the binoculars in my presence himself before sending them in, and he will take the matter up himself with Zeiss.

For entertainment purposes, I am including some photo details below.

Edmund

Attachments

• 4C9F0267-7DA5-4A2D-A203-E789808F041F.png
    4C9F0267-7DA5-4A2D-A203-E789808F041F.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 132
  • F343A576-010F-4BB8-960C-92B005713E04.png
    F343A576-010F-4BB8-960C-92B005713E04.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Unfortunately this didn't go as planned. I went to get the binoculars, and on examination although they appeared functional they appeared to be badly marked by an extremely amateurish repair job, and their resale value effectively destroyed. The dealer concurs with my view as he carefully assessed the binoculars in my presence himself before sending them in, and he will take the matter up himself with Zeiss.

For entertainment purposes, I am including some photo details below.

Edmund
On reflection, I think I will ask the dealer to check the serial, it seems impossible that a binocular could get damaged this badly in a repair at a company like Zeiss, this pair looks like it has been in a war. Maybe the wrong pair got sent back.

Edmund

On reflection, I think I will ask the dealer to check the serial, it seems impossible that a binocular could get damaged this badly in a repair at a company like Zeiss, this pair looks like it has been in a war. Maybe the wrong pair got sent back.

Edmund
I had some similar experiences with Bushnell/B&L repair years ago, and to a lesser extent w/Leica repair. One possible issue is that these bins are made in Japan, so Zeiss may not be as well equipped to repair them as something they make themselves. Also these bins may not be designed to possibly be repaired, in contrast to many bins of the past.

--AP

When the diopter ring detached from my Terra 8x25, Zeiss repaired it well. The diopter has the same construction, and is basically glued/stuck on. I was left quite unimpressed by the construction of these binoculars; optically the VP 8x25 are fabulous, but in construction the Leica UV 8x20 are far sturdier.
It seems the key is never to put them into a tight pocket / bag, so that nothing ever rubs the diopter or the focusing ring and tries to detach them. I now use a loose fitting Lowe bag, and so far things are ok.

When the diopter ring detached from my Terra 8x25, Zeiss repaired it well. The diopter has the same construction, and is basically glued/stuck on.
Gary MH has stated on here that the Victory Pocket dioptre is not glued on but is secured by 3 clips. Doesn't alter the disappointment when it comes off but it does mean the problem isn't lack of glue.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back