• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oh crap, the diopter knob is gone (1 Viewer)

On reflection, I think I will ask the dealer to check the serial, it seems impossible that a binocular could get damaged this badly in a repair at a company like Zeiss, this pair looks like it has been in a war. Maybe the wrong pair got sent back.

Edmund

You can check the serial - the one you marked down from your unit to the one returned to you - would be a lot quicker!

........................, but in construction the Leica UV 8x20 are far sturdier.
I'm not so sure whether the Leicas are really much better. Nine years ago I had taken my UV10x25 along on a trip, meant to serve as a spare, just in case. So the model was stored in a soft pouch in a bag. Apparently, some heavier bag was put on top of it in the trunk. So when I checked some week or so later, The cover with the red dot had come off due to deforming from the weight that had been resting on it. And some bumps from the road certainly added to the pressure. I had to turn it in to Leica to get it fixed properly, and it cost me a fair bit ( not sure any more, but over US $100 equivalent). I had hoped for a warranty case, but this was not Swarovski.

I can't imagine a larger model being similarly affected. But it's clear, those pocket models are designed for lowest possible weight, at the cost of being less sturdy.

Attachments

• P1070134redbf.jpg
    P1070134redbf.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 63
You can check the serial - the one you marked down from your unit to the one returned to you - would be a lot quicker!
I didn't accept the repair, that instrument stayed in the shop..

So I don't have the number of that instrument that was returned to the shop by Zeiss. I just have the serial of the instrument I bought and later asked the shop to send in for repair.

Edmund

Last edited:
I didn't accept the repair, that instrument stayed in the shop..

So I don't have the number of that instrument that was returned to the shop by Zeiss. I just have the serial of the instrument I bought and later asked the shop to send in for repair.

Edmund
Hi,

Are you sure the binocular was returned to Zeiss by the dealer ?

It looks like someone has tried to remove the eyepiece from the binocular for some reason and have damaged it with a tool.

You do not have to do this to replace the dioptre knob and any proper Zeiss technician could replace the knob without damage in a few minutes.

Gary

Hi,

Are you sure the binocular was returned to Zeiss by the dealer ?

It looks like someone has tried to remove the eyepiece from the binocular for some reason and have damaged it with a tool.

You do not have to do this to replace the dioptre knob and any proper Zeiss technician could replace the knob without damage in a few minutes.

Gary
See Post 12 Gary.

Lee

[ . . . ]
The dioptre knob pushes onto its mount and is secured by 3 clips.
[ . . . ]
Gary, Is the clip arrangement for the diopter control to click into/out from its place when pushed/pulled, or does it secure it more positively?

The external build quality in this model (i.e. other than of the core optical system--I hope!) is not what one expected from Zeiss.

CSG, Not sure if you are aware, that is a previous model, not the one with the name Pocket.

Lee.................post 12 states that the binocular has been repaired...........but not who it was repaired by. It only states that a replacement eyepiece was being despatched by Zeiss. It certainly looks to me as if someone has tried to lever the eyepiece off with an unsuitable tool and Zeiss would not do that !!!!!

adhoc..............the clip arrangement is to hold the knob securely - it does not pull out to lock/unlock like on the SF.

Gary

The dealer has told me he discussed the issue with the importing agent, and the instrument has been sent back direct to Zeiss Germany. He said the instrument had come back from repair from Germany, that it was the one sent in, and that he simply has no idea what happened here.

It would seem it's now up Zeiss to supply a solution. As far as I'm concerned, what went on exactly is of academic interest, such things happen to the best suppliers.

I do hope however that they find a permanent fix for the dioptre knob for all buyers of this instrument, such that not only it doesn't fall off, but also such that it locks into place, because mine kept moving around by itself between uses.

Edmund

Gary, thanks, but I wasn't clear enough, sorry. I did not mean, does it "lift" a little on its axis and click back to lock the setting, but: has it been placed during assembly only by a click mechanism and thus may simply be pulled out of that click position? I am thinking of this happening accidentally.

Lee.................post 12 states that the binocular has been repaired...........but not who it was repaired by. It only states that a replacement eyepiece was being despatched by Zeiss. It certainly looks to me as if someone has tried to lever the eyepiece off with an unsuitable tool and Zeiss would not do that !!!!!

Gary
Absolutely Gary, there is no way that damage was done in Wetzlar.

Lee

It will be interesting who and where the work was done, is there another Zeiss repair facility in Germany other than Wetzlar?

Gary, Is the clip arrangement for the diopter control to click into/out from its place when pushed/pulled, or does it secure it more positively?

The external build quality in this model (i.e. other than of the core optical system--I hope!) is not what one expected from Zeiss.

CSG, Not sure if you are aware, that is a previous model, not the one with the name Pocket.
I'm aware my version still retains the diopter if that helps... Yes, I'm aware they now make a different version than what I own.

Most people on this thread seem to own another binocular, as I can see from the signatures, I don't think we're very worried if one instrument tends to have a minor malfunction, these things always get solved in the end. Zeiss Sports Optics on the other hand may not enjoy having a steady drizzle of packages coming back for repair, they don't really have any alternative than to deal with this on an everyday basis, even if it absorbs technician worktime.

I will call my dealer on tuesday, and he'll tell me what the state of play is. My impression from reading this thread is that they're trying to roll out some sort of design change that will decisively put an end to this failure mode, and so customer patience is indicated, as we'll get a solid fix in the end.

Edmund

Last edited:
You mean like some sort of recall (happens with autos frequently) , where every owner is contacted to send in their glass for the recall upgrade?

You mean like some sort of recall (happens with autos frequently) , where every owner is contacted to send in their glass for the recall upgrade?
I don't think that many are failing, actually. One here and there, as seen in this forum. Most users are seeing no issues and are very happy. A lot of instruments seem to get steady minor upgrades while they are in production. The 8x25 seems to have been incredibly well received for its optics, so I wouldn't expect that changing a screw or a clip somewhere during production is going to be a big problem.

I've seen the same thing with cameras: There's a minor issue, the production design gets updated, and users who run into the problem get a quick repair and a smile.

Edmund

On reflection, I think I will ask the dealer to check the serial, it seems impossible that a binocular could get damaged this badly in a repair at a company like Zeiss, this pair looks like it has been in a war. Maybe the wrong pair got sent back.

Edmund
If that's the case, Zeiss might have already sent your binoculars to the other person. If not...well it seems one way or the other they owe you a new Victory Pocket.

If that's the case, Zeiss might have already sent your binoculars to the other person. If not...well it seems one way or the other they owe you a new Victory Pocket.
The dealer has assured me he checked the serial. The damaged was inflicted to my instrument.

Edmund

Actually, Zeiss do not owe me anything. I have no business relationship with them. I have a business relationship with my dealer, who is on the hook here to supply warranty service during the standard EU 2 year period, , and then of course there is a complex legal issue in France of the manufacturer's responsibility and the fact that design faults do not have a clear time limit.

This complex situation is why I haven't had a functioning Zeiss binocular since May, and it explains why most large multi-brand retail outlets sell an insurance policy for an extra 10% or so of product price, which sets out the consumer's rights directly and contractually and insures an immediate no-question no-fault resolution of warranty issues including in most cases with no finger pointing between manufacturer and reseller. If you don't have such a policy and you deal with a reseller you get dropped into purgatory like my case and have to wait it out, if you have one the issue becomes an insurance issue and you drop off the non-functioning item at the point of sale and receive a new one.

I do realize NOW that I was dumb not so send this thing directly in to Zeiss Germany, who offer direct service well above and beyond all legal requirements to avoid all these legal and business issues. I thought I would be better off dealing with somebody I know and who thinks he might one day sell me another binocular or a book about birds. Due to my stupidity, the dealer got stuck in the middle with a badly repaired instrument, a legal obligation to me, and and the need to negotiate his way out of the problem, when he himself has an importer standing between him and Zeiss.

Edmund

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back