• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

OK folks help! - Swarovski or Zeiss?? (1 Viewer)

jgraider

What happened to the HT 10x42 brand and why discontinued? ... Ergonomically they are the best set of bins I have had, ...and optically, although a smaller sweet spot in the middle, they are very sharp.... Funny how they came out with it and just dropped them a few years later. They went with the SF line-up to go along with the rest of the crowd I suppose. Too bad, the design they had was perfect and different. It set them a part.

Zeiss Sport Optics sales have really suffered over the last few short years, which is why you've seen some consolidation in their lineup.

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
What happened to the HT 10x42 brand and why discontinued? ... Ergonomically they are the best set of bins I have had, ...and optically, although a smaller sweet spot in the middle, they are very sharp.... Funny how they came out with it and just dropped them a few years later. They went with the SF line-up to go along with the rest of the crowd I suppose. Too bad, the design they had was perfect and different. It set them a part.

I had a pair of HT 8x42s for six years and they were, and still are superb instruments. In fact if you consider the placement of the focus wheel in relation to the optical tubes you can easily see that HTs have the same kind of ergonomics as SF and just lack the third bridge by the objective. When I first picked up an SF I immediately recognised the grip as being the same as with my HT.

Looking back it is clear that the management of the time had the idea to have an alpha model designed for hunters with an emphasis on performance during twilight (hence the use of high transmission glass) and also an alpha glass of birders / nature observers designed for making long-duration observation comfortable (by shifting the point of balance towards the eyepieces) and with a super-wide field of view to capture the subjects of interest.

The fact that HT42s have been discontinued seems likely to be explained by SF proving to be more popular. Looks to me as thought Zeiss asked the market, which format do you want in a premium bino, closed bridge or open bridge? And the market spoke.

Lee

Last edited:

lmans66

Out Birding....
Supporter
United States
I had a pair of HT 8x42s for six years and they were, and still are superb instruments. In fact if you consider the placement of the focus wheel in relation to the optical tubes you can easily see that HTs have the same kind of ergonomics as SF and just lack the third bridge by the objective. When I first picked up an SF I immediately recognised the grip as being the same as with my HT.

Looking back it is clear that the management of the time had the idea to have an alpha model designed for hunters with an emphasis on performance during twilight (hence the use of high transmission glass) and also an alpha glass of birders / nature observers designed for making long-duration observation comfortable (by shifting the point of balance towards the eyepieces) and with a super-wide field of view to capture the subjects of interest.

The fact that HT42s have been discontinued seems likely to be explained by SF proving to be more popular. Looks to me as thought Zeiss asked the market, which format do you want in a premium bino, closed bridge or open bridge? And the market spoke.

Lee

I think it was the 'appearance', the overall design itself that differed from the 'going crow' of what people wanted to view as the new approach to bins, and thus it hurt the HT's.... The HT's were longer, ...in terms of weight, not all that much different than others. I prefer to always be a bit 'different'....so I didn't mind it. I prefer the ergonomics of it, even now. These are super with low light and on the east coast under clouds, they work great, as well as in the Jungles of South America. But, I do want a pair for back west and sunnier areas....Hence I just started looking around for another pair and was surprised to see they discontinued the HT's....was news to me! Anyhow, the SF's are too expensive for me, but have looked at the SLC's and that was my runner-up choice years ago when I selected the HT's.... Thanks for info all, jim

rosbifs

Well-known tool
France
To put your mind at rest, Zeiss owners, I have to say the after service support I got was outstanding when the dog chewed my bins. They went far beyond the call of duty.

Obviously, some people are going to have different stories but that will be the same for all brands - someone somewhere will have an experience that doesn't meet their expectations and therefore they will be unhappy.

Brands that for me have gone beyond are - Zeiss, Oakley (ski goggles), Animal (sunglasses) and Sun Valley for ski pants...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread