• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old canon porros question (1 Viewer)

pat mitchel

Do Canon porros (non IS) from the 70's come with the lens elements blacked? I had to clean some recently acquired at auction and was surprised to find the objectives as well as the eyepiece elements all blacked. Outside of some early Nikon 8x30 8.5 degrees binocs, that the only 2 of the Japanese manufacture that have passed through my hands that have that treatment. I have no way of knowing whether that was standard fare or done after the fact at one of the cleanings/ adjustment the bins might have gone through. Further question- since I've not experienced any of the euro maker binocs, do any of them offer such treatment in the binocs? Regards, Pat

Pat, I have a pair at my office, but during Covid times I don't get there a lot. I'll check though next time I'm there. You mean blacking the outside perimeter of the elements, right?

b-lilja; That's correct. After opening to clean approx 200+ binocs, it's a pleasant surprise to see the attnetion to detail hat a couple of the makers used in their optics. If you have to open them up, best to leave them as is and not disturb the settings. Regards, Pat

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back