• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Old Hall Marshes (1 Viewer)

The sniper

Just wondered,whats the deal with this place.
Have been there a few times,its a cracking place but there seems a level of secrecy about it.
You need a permit to visit,which i don't mind.But there never seems to be any reports from there,even though its obvious that there are some cracking birds around,just a look on the sightings board in the car park tells you whats been seen and whats around and the habitat suggests that the odd rarity will turn up,but as no reports are ever seen to be made public,on here or on any of the local sites i just wonder A) are certain people more privelaged than others when a rarity comes out B) due to the size of the place and the small amount of people that seem to bird it,are birds being missed???
Just wondering on all of the above points,as it seems to me that its a cracking reserve,probably the best in essex but not really known by many.
cheers

I think,because it gets quit a few scarce breeding birds large numbers of visitors are not encouraged,as access is not great thats easily achieved !,I walk in from salcot village,I saw an adult Spoonbill there Sunday,aint seen any mention of that bird.....

PH

There is only a small car park so you couldn't get too many in there.And I would of thought the nearest bus stops over a mile away,if that close.
The other day on the board were spoonbill,great White egret,glossy ibis and a couple of other surprises

It's a great reserve but because there are no facilities it's only the serious birdwatcher that goes there - apart from dogwalkers along the sea wall. Amd there aren't that many regulars who go there - we have been there several times and no one else is there. It's no secret as far as I know but you know what people are like, they can't be bothered to get a permit, too much hassle. I think the permit is only for parking, not general admission.

I lead walks there from time to time and always find something good, doesn't ususally get mega rarities, although there have been one or two, but has good residents - Marsh Harrier, Beardies, barn Owls, Grey Partridge...............and attracts other raptors in the winter, have seen Hen Harrier and Merlin and of course the Peregrines from Bradwell Power Station....

having said all that I like it the way it is and would prefer it to be a secret, don't want everyone knowing about it and turning up to disturb the peace....................

:t:

There's certainly no secret about the place. Birds do get put out on a fairly regular basis when there's something decent to report, certainly appears on the pager and on the Essex Yahoo Forum. Guessing the lack of mentions on Birdforum is that none of the birders that visit the OHM don't visit Birdforum and post. There is only a very small percentage of active Essex birders actually post on BF.

The parking lot is by permit only and there are not many permits. You would have to be a regular visitor to be able to get one I believe.

You can park along the main road and walk along the track down to where the footpaths leave the reserve car park and then bird from the seawall and the track that cuts across Bale Field to the other side at Salcott Channel. By walking from the road you will be adding extra mileage to what will be an already long walk anyway.

Rarities turn up, Wilson's Phalarope, American Golden Plover, Long-billed Dowitcher, Lesser Grey Shrike etc but the main stay of birds here are passage waders, Curlew Sands, Little Stints and winter wildfowl and harriers.

It is a great reserve, huge wild and windswept. I like to do the full loop on a snowy winters day with one of my mates. It feels really hardcore, so cold it hurts but the raptors in that kind of weather are brilliant. The sense of wilderness is fantastic.

You just email the warden for a permit and they email it back to you. Saying that it is quite easy to park in Salcott and walk to the reserve. As there is nothing but a car park at the reserve entrance there is no advantage for me to drive further than Salcott coming from Colchester.

I imagine it would be a mission to get to the reserve by public transport and factoring in a hell of a walk around the main loop its self you would have to be fit to get there without a car. Bring a packed lunch and drinks with you - I have lost count the amount of times I have stumbled back to the car really thirsty as I have drank all of my fluid hours ago - Old Hall Marshes is not Minsmere or Rainham - no tea room, no loos, no tasty cakes!!!

It is a great reserve, huge wild and windswept. I like to do the full loop on a snowy winters day with one of my mates. It feels really hardcore, so cold it hurts but the raptors in that kind of weather are brilliant. The sense of wilderness is fantastic.

Old Hall Marshes is not Minsmere or Rainham - no tea room, no loos, no tasty cakes!!!

Which is why it is so good!!! Agreed, usually do the long walk in the winter and aim to get to the far point at high tide - have had Eider, GN Diver, Slav, Velvet Scoter, Long tailed Duck, Razorbill................oh (and although I haven't seen it) apparently there is a Wild Boar in the reedbed which is seen from time to time.

oh (and although I haven't seen it) apparently there is a Wild Boar in the reedbed which is seen from time to time.[/QUOTE]

I have ,an its a big black whopper !,I wouldn't fancy meeting it face to face !

PH

Old Hall

wow I didn't know about the wild boar, will keep an eye out for that.

First, Old Hall has been an RSPB reserve for about 26 years. Much of the purchase price came from a bequest from Eric Morcambe which also required that a low public profile be adopted. Added to this, vehicular access is restriced by agreement with the farmer, who has a house on Old Hall Lane between the public highway and the reserve. The reserve consequently was omitted from the RSPB Site Guide. Reserve staff and volunteers are unlikely to report any rarities. Casual visitors should access via Salcott, along the sea wall which is a public footpath.

There was a female Wild Boar, or possibly a Boar/Pig cross which escaped from its farm and lived in the reedbed for about 12 years. It used to be seen fairly regularly but to the best of my knowledge it has not been sighted for over 12 months. It is presumed deceased.

Given the slightly 'theme park' feel of some of the busier reserves it's no bad thing that some are kept out of the public spotlight and managed primarily for the wildlife rather than to provide entertainment for visitors. :t:

I love Old Hall Marshes it's my local site. I found out about OHM from a birding mag a few years back, but it is also listed on the RSPB website. Getting a permit is no hassle but you do realise when you visit this place it will never get popular because of it's location.

I went to Old Hall once and really enjoyed it, saw a Shore Lark, Merlin and Peregrine all for the first time, and plenty of other stuff to be had. It *is* a bit of a treck from "civilisation" though I suppose, but it made for a lovely day out. Met some nice people at the reserve as well, who pointed out the Merlin and Peregrine for me, who were both doing their best hiding act!

I went today and It was brilliant.
I saw 58 species including Peregrine, Golden Plover, Avocet, Marsh Harrier, Harris Hawk(Escape?), Little Egret, 10 wheatear, Common Sandpipers, Grey Heron, Black-tailed Godwit, Ruff, Curlew Sandpiper.

From Salcott village to irongate pool today,7 Winchat,2 Wheatear,2 Yellow wagtail,8 Green sand,Little stint ,12 knott,also Spotted redshanks,Greenshanks,Golden and grey plovers,Blackwits and Barwits.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back