• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old NIKON HG crumbled, can someone help me? (1 Viewer)

binomania

Dear friends, good afternoon from Italy. A binomania reader gave me an old Nikon HG, unfortunately it arrived in very bad condition. I managed to fix the too loose hinge, but one of the two lenses is practically crumbled. Some of you have a broken 42mm Nikon HG that may have a lens in good condition? I saw that it can be screwed to the optical hull. Thanks to those who can help me.

Attachments

• hg.jpg
    hg.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 91

dries1

Sorry about that, but I think sending them to Nikon will be your only solution for the remedy. You will likely have to pay for the lens replacement since it looks like the damage is outside of warranty coverage.

Andy W.

jring

Hi,

sorry to see this... but have you tried it? I would not be surprised if the view was not that bad regardless of the damage.

Joachim

sidpost

United States
I would think a factory tune-up would be in order. In addition to the lens, the rest of the bins could probably use a going over and refreshment as these seem to have had a bit of a rough life.

Binastro

With black masks covering the damaged parts of the objective, the performance might still be good if the lens elements have no further damage.

The cost of a new objective might not be high if the binocular is returned to Nikon.

Regards,
B.

sidpost

United States
With black masks covering the damaged parts of the objective, the performance might still be good if the lens elements have no further damage.

The cost of a new objective might not be high if the binocular is returned to Nikon.

Regards,
B.

I have no idea about Nikon support in the EU for binoculars but, I think you might be surprised what Nikon can do for you and the cost of service. In general, I find Japanese product support to be very very good, similar to Germany in terms of quality but different!

NDhunter

Experienced observer
United States
Piero:
Nikon may not be able to fix that one, but depending on the situation they may replace it with a similar product.
They often don't have the parts for repair to those older models.
You should check with Nikon and let us know your options.

Jerry

dries1

That looks like a newer Monarch HG model, not an older HG. Otherwise it is not an Hg model at all. Nikon can fix it - at cost, if it is a Monarch HG. A better photo of the Bino would be helpful.

Andy W.

Users who are viewing this thread