• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus Ls12 - advice needed (1 Viewer)

As that mic has a balanced 3 pin XLR output it would need at the very least a cable converting it from balanced xlr to unbalanced jack. I believe that it has its own power, but how it performs with this conversion I do not know, and without advice from someone who has tried it I would not want to gamble anyone elses hard earned cash.

If you look at the thread 'set-up for a newbie' FMHILL appears to be using that mic with an LS-11, which looks like it may be OK - you may wish to communicate with him.

Last edited:
The cables are easy to get hold of, and the very good news is that as it has its own power supply you dont need what is known as a phantom supply to supply 24 or 48v. Most pro mics that I have encountered have the same XLR connection and I use one of those cables for those mics that dont need the 24v etc., to connect to amps etc. It can be important to make sure that the cable is specified as 'balanced XLR to an unbalanced jack', and make sure that the jack is the right size as most are the bigger size for connection to an amp or mixer.

Again its always best to talk to someone who has done what you are attempting - most of the time there are no problems - but....

Some portable recorders such as the Tascam DR 40 are equipped with these connectors and a limited power supply.

And I agree with your comments - there is definitely not as much help as there is in the case of cameras. The good news is that there is far more standardisation and interchangeability once you get the hang of it.

Last edited:
I wish it wasn't so complicated!

XLR means the jack coming out of the microphone has three pins. Your recorder probably can take a mic with only a TRS jack - that is, a single pin. Therefore, you will need a converter to convert the XLR of your mic into a TRS. It is more like an adapter.

By the way, the K6/ME66 is a very popular and capable nature sound recording microphone. If you are getting it at a good bargain get it by all means and then look out for a good recorder that takes in XLR mics. But it is somewhat like getting the saddle before getting the horse.

I have uploaded a recording I did of Blue Pitta. This is simply handheld as it comes. I have amplified the signal but don't know how to remove the hiss.
The exciting part about this recording is the Giant Pitta calling twice in the background.......
http://xeno-canto.org/137855

WJ-1 is the one to get for LS-11 and 14 according to Olympus so that one might fit LS-12 ?

Anders

Last edited:
I have also just bought the LS-12 and I'm considering whether or not I'll need an external mic (and/or wind jammer) as well.

Peter, do you have any additional recordings that you have made with your device without the use of an external mic. I reckon your Blue Pitta recording was quite good. What settings did you use for this recording?

Cheers,
Petter

Last edited:
external mike

I have also just bought the LS-12 and I'm considering whether or not I'll need an external mic (and/or wind jammer) as well.

Peter, do you have any additional recordings that you have made with your device without the use of an external mic. I reckon your Blue Pitta recording was quite good. What settings did you use for this recording?

Cheers,
Petter

Hi Petter,
Getting ready for the Solomon Islands?

In any wind the microphone pics it up. Inside the forest is fine.
Here is a link to my recordings. They are edited to the best of my ability which isn't that good at this stage.
http://www.xeno-canto.org/recordist.php?id=VTCWEPHHIE

external mike

Cheers,
Petter

Hi Petter,

Here is a link to my recordings. They are edited to the best of my ability which isn't that good at this stage.

Hi Petter,

I sure am!

Hopefully wind won't be that much of a problem there. I reckon I'll just use the internal mics for now and perhaps supplement with an external mic at a later stage.

Hi Peter,

Which settings are you using with the LS-12?

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,
I record as wave files and use Smart mode. I am not well versed with sound recording techniques so need something pretty simple. I press Red and let the device optimize the recording level then I start recording.
I then use Audacity to do some editing.

Peter

I sure am!

Hopefully wind won't be that much of a problem there. I reckon I'll just use the internal mics for now and perhaps supplement with an external mic at a later stage.

It isn't that good for immediate playback unless the recording level is high.
I am pretty pleased with my better recordings that I have posted but I am also sure if I get external mike and wind jammer things will pick up a lot.

Peter

I use K6-ME66 with a Olympus LS-11 and can confirm it is a great combination you'll have a hard time finding better... Hosa Technology makes a cable to plug the ME/K6 series microphones into the TRS jack on the LS recorders... I have not seen a LS-12 but from what I have heard, it is basically the same as far as external microphones are concerned...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back