• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

olympus om-d e-mx1 vs Nikon D500 (1 Viewer)

I_A_N

Germany
Hi guys,

I was out in my local patch yesterday with my D500 and 200-500mm and getting some good shots of a grey heron and egrets, A guy came along who had an Olypus om-d e-mx1, there was something in the software which all he had to do was lock focus on the eye and it just seemed to follow the bird round, there was also a setting to shoot the bird and somehow go back in the buffer and save pictures which where not really saved.
It all sounded to good to be be true and I was wondering if anyone here has had the chance to compare these two cameras and their systems.

cheers, Ian

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
There is a thread in the Olympus section about the bird AF that has recently been added to the em1x through a firmware update. I thought similar tracking options were available on Nikon?

The other things mentioned also sounds correct even though I cannot remember the names oly uses for those options

Niels

Adey Baker

Some Olympus cameras in the EM1 range have 'Pro capture' which continuously 'takes' photos over the previous second or two whilst you hold the shutter halfway down. Pressing the shutter fully then saves the previous actuations (up to about 30, I think). It's important to make sure you don't hesitate and lift your finger slightly before pressing fully down or you won't save anything - it needs practise as it's very easy to instinctively lift your finger slightly and re-press as you often do when double-checking focus, etc.

I_A_N

Germany
Hi Niels,
as far as I know the D500 doesnโ€˜t do AF tracking, but if anyone knows different please tell me where to find it ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘

marcsantacurz

The d500 does have a subject tracking mode (3d tracking), but it's not comparable to modern mirrorless (or canon 1dx3). It is also limited to the center rectangle, not the whole sensor.

The Z6ii/Z7ii are starting to get closer to modern mirrorless, but I think Sony and Canon R5/R6 are the only ones doing it well. I've not looked at Olympus in a while, so maybe theirs is good too?

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread