• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

OMEGA 5 Star, 8x30, Field 75 degrees, No. 7482 (1 Viewer)

Mister Ed

My Significant Other, who is the real birder, has complained about the heavily used and hazy lens Nikon binoculars she and her family have used for years. While rooting around in our camping stuff camping stuff I found a sturdy leather case holding the binoculars defined in the Title. The binoculars are in perfect or nearly perfect shape (no hazy lens!) and neither of us recalls acquiring it.

The questions are . . . is this a quality instrument? Has our search for a replacement ended? Should we sell it and apply the funds to a wish fund?

Attachments

• OMEGA.jpg
    OMEGA.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 35

Binastro

Hi Mister Ed and welcome.

The £15 value of the binocular won't buy a good new binocular.

The claimed field is 7.5 degrees, likely accurate.

If the binocular is well aligned why not use it.

It won't be waterproof.

It is a standard 8x30 Porro prism binocular, probably with three element eyepieces.
Perhaps c.1970.

Buying a new binocular is another story, depending on what is wanted.
Are glasses worn?
Should it be waterproof etc.?

Regards,
B.

42za

Hello , and welcome to the forums.

My advice is to use and enjoy this binocular , why let it rot unused in its case ?.

I still use and enjoy an old 7 x 35 Japanese Porro and get as much satisfaction from it as I do from my more modern instruments.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread