• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

On a quest to find a Flammulated Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

We leave tomorrow. Didn't see a Flammulated. Did I mention how dry the forest was? The driest I've seen. In spite of that, I found a pair of Black-bellied Whistling Ducks in there. A few more to add to the list: Brown Booby, Royal Tern and what I think was a Great Black Hawk. The Hawk flew over the marina yesterday morning as I was on my way to the pool. It was being mobbed by about a dozen swallows. I not only didn't have my bins with me, but I didn't have my glasses on. At first I thought it was a Black Vulture, but as it flew directly overhead, I saw white bars on the tail. Possibly, Crane Hawk...but I think the size and tail length might be better for GBH. Can't be positive. I'll probably do one more evening walk just to say good-bye. Terrible early morning shot of the duck. I had to adjust the contrast, etc. to show it. First saw it perched on the top of a cut off palm, later a pair perched on a ledge on the side of a tree deep in from the road. Maybe this isn't as weird as it struck me. The closest fresh water is a few miles away at the gold course. Perhaps they know the rainy season starts next month? I kept an eye on the Coati as it ambled through the dry trees, hoping it might flush a low perched, skulking Flammulated Flycatcher.;)

Attachments

• DSC07934 (2).JPG
    DSC07934 (2).JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC07986 (2).JPG
    DSC07986 (2).JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 2
Sorry you didn’t get your target bird. Despite that you did get a nice number of birds. I’ve seen Coatis in the Huachuca Mountains of SE AZ, interesting guys.

Sorry you didn’t get your target bird. Despite that you did get a nice number of birds. I’ve seen Coatis in the Huachuca Mountains of SE AZ, interesting guys.
Saw Coatis and Agoutis nearly everyday when we lived in Panama. The Coatis there obviously had an easier life. There were lots of them and they were always fat and glossy, some of them here look a bit stressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back