• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

One day birding in Jordan from Amman (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

As the title suggests I have a full day at the end of a business trip (late August). I'm not interested in seeing the historical sites and will probably make a separate weekend visit to Petra another time. I guess it will be really hot at that time of year so realistically it will be just a few hours at the start and end of the day when anything will be moving and visible ?

Any suggestions for where to go ? Wadi Dana and the Dead sea ?
It looks like getting a big camera and bins through the airport is very risky as they are frequently confiscated so I would probably hire a decent camera and 300mm lens for the day out there.

Thanks for any info.

Tony

Himalaya

I went to Jordan in 2012 early March and loved it. If you have a full day Dana is good but not sure exactly what mid-day temperatures would be there?

Never heard of binoculars or cameras being confiscated.

Tony Knight

Thanks. There is a whole thread on the subject including how when you go to pick them up on return to the airport you can basically pick up any optics you like !

I'm likely to be there for 3 days now so will probably try Azraq Wetland Reserve, Petra, and the Dead Sea, maybe visiting Dana on the way to the dead sea from Petra.

jogresh

Registered nutjob
WRT to optics/airports, I've previously been in touch with Aqaba B.O. on FB, and they said that bins usually get through fine whereas scopes are confiscated til your return. I didn't ask about cameras. A guy from Scotland used to go there a fair bit iirc; I chatted to him at Rutland Bird Fair. There was also a blog post about an Aug trip on the Biggest Twitch website if want to try Googling. HTH.

Tony Knight

WRT to optics/airports, I've previously been in touch with Aqaba B.O. on FB, and they said that bins usually get through fine whereas scopes are confiscated til your return. I didn't ask about cameras. A guy from Scotland used to go there a fair bit iirc; I chatted to him at Rutland Bird Fair. There was also a blog post about an Aug trip on the Biggest Twitch website if want to try Googling. HTH.
Thanks. My camera with lens is the same size as a scope so that doesn't sound too promising. Will try Aqaba B.O on facebook. Found the report on Big Twitch but no comment on getting through the airport.

jogresh

Registered nutjob
I've been in touch with the people in the blog post; one persons large camera lens was confiscated but not bins; they didn't take scopes.

Tony Knight

I've been in touch with the people in the blog post; one persons large camera lens was confiscated but not bins; they didn't take scopes.
Thanks. Do you know when this was ? I'm planning to take my big very expensive lens through in 8 days time !

Users who are viewing this thread