• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One more / last / final Vancouver / August, gull ID please. (1 Viewer)

Keith/Portland

United Kingdom
Hi. I have been trying to join the Gulls of North America Facebook group but cannot get to join as nobody replies! Hence I have one more ID question please. A much better photo this time. Vancouver BC. August. Note the pale iris. Thanks. Keith.

Attachments

• IMG_0589-Edit.jpg
    IMG_0589-Edit.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 28
The jizz and most features seem to suggest California gull, but the colour of the primaries (though heavily abraded) and the legs is giving me some concern - it could have some Glaucous-winged genes in there.

I spent a while looking at these birds when I was in BC and came to the conclusion they are both taxonomically and phenotypically a mess up there!

I understand exactly what you mean. As Callie does not appear to interbreed with Glauc. winged (I may be wrong) I put the pale primaries down to wear! Otherwise I wondered about an AHGU x Callie hybrid … however it seems it’s the other race of the latter (that I have never seen) that does so - but out on the prairies, or across that way somewhere. If it sere not for such a CAGU like head and greater coverts I would happiky opt for AHGU, but it still doesn’t look right.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back