• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One more on the Isle of Wight for ID Help Please. (1 Viewer)

Dave Derrick

Supporter
England
Photo's taken on Boxing Day by a friend on the Isle of Wight. The white bird was with some Canada Geese and then flew off with them. Help with ID please. Thanks, Dave.
IMG_7108 (2).JPGIMG_7161 (2).JPG

Looks like a Canada x domestic (Greylag?) goose hybrid imo

(black in tail tips suggests Canada (or branta sp at least) parentage.

Canada x white domestic (Greylag) hybrid. I've seen a few like this and the pale grey/white patchiness with a few dark flight feathers is very typical of the combination.

I once saw one almost identical to this get viciously attacked by a male Mute Swan, which singled it out from all the Canada geese it was in the middle of on a park boating lake and stormed through in full wings-up display to get to it. I think the similarity of plumage to a juvenile swan at the sort of age that the adults would start to chase them off might have influenced it...

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back