• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Onondaga Lake Park, Syracuse NY July 2021 Black/white duck w/long bill-any ideas? Thanks in advance! (1 Viewer)

AveryBartels

the pics I see of that all seem to have red bills but this one was only black-can Mergansers have black beaks?
I wouldn't trust the colour in a photo of this quality, or even your own in person experience viewing it if not up close and viewed well. Red can often appear dark/black at a distance, in low light, poor quality pics etc. especially with regards to small body parts like the bill, or a small patch of plumage.

As stated by others, unequivocally a Common Merganser male.

rkj

I wouldn't trust the colour in a photo of this quality, or even your own in person experience viewing it if not up close and viewed well. Red can often appear dark/black at a distance, in low light, poor quality pics etc. especially with regards to small body parts like the bill, or a small patch of plumage.

As stated by others, unequivocally a Common Merganser male.
My thinking is the same. Nothing else is similar.

Users who are viewing this thread