• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ontario, Canada ID (1 Viewer)

Tom Lusk

Can I get a confirmation of this bird as a juvenile Scarlet Tanager?
Unfortunately found dead, likely the result of a window collision.

Attachments

• SCARLET TANAGER DEAD 800P.jpg
    SCARLET TANAGER DEAD 800P.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 26
From what I read, all the reddishness may indicate summer tanager - and as it's had its autumn moult it may be difficult to age/sex. Would be better to see the bill-shape properly side-on.

From what I read, all the reddishness may indicate summer tanager - and as it's had its autumn moult it may be difficult to age/sex. Would be better to see the bill-shape properly side-on.
Well you might be correct: not a straightforward bird at least. However, I'd note:
  • undertail (from what I can see) is grey which is pro- scarlet. My old Sibley says it's greenish in summer but Macauley suggests often yellowish
  • Yellow fringing is restricted to flight feathers. It generally extends to scapulars etc in summer from what I can see
  • Agree we can't see the bill well. However, I make it to be relatively smaller, finer than I'd expect for summer. Also pinky rather than yellowish or greyish

Do these additional photos help to make the ID any easier?

Attachments

• TANAGER1.jpg
    TANAGER1.jpg
    464.5 KB · Views: 1
  • TANAGER HEAD.jpg
    TANAGER HEAD.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 1
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back