• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oops! ...binocular robustness (1 Viewer)

tenex

reality-based
A couple of days ago, my wife tripped on a tree root and face-planted on top of our trusty Trinovid BN 10x32, on hard dry ground. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, and the BN still works normally and shows remarkably little damage, just some small scratches and a few tiny pits along the hinge area from bits of gravel. I think it might be wise to send off for a service checkup anyway, but apparently that tank-like build really pays off. I wonder how the Ultravid would have fared.

How well have other binoculars endured similar accidents?

I’ve told the story before but my wife stumbled on some volcanic shore rock with her Terra’s in hand by the strap. Her fall whipped the binoculars catapult style downward, leaving bits of rock imbedded in the binocular rubber.

Binocular was fine. Terras are not my favourite but are clearly robust.

I slid and fell heavily on ice on granite.

The Ross 10x70 military monocular took the impact.

One third of the prism was damaged but I continued to use it for years with a third missing view.

Regards,
B.

Nikon Mountaineer 8x25. Its toughness and my own oops moments are described in the thread linked here. I was happy with its optical qualities, while it was being treated like that. (Then I started reading BirdForum...)

There are (referring to the last post above) at least two videos on the toughness of the Zeiss Conquest 10x32, a 2013 video and 2014 video. Those and other reviews on its optical qualities and handling made me go for it. Not very happy with it on the optical side. Treating it delicately, with a view to selling.

Last edited:
Perfect gift for the klutz in the family, Fujinon 8x23 Airdrop padded.

Attachments

• airdrop.jpg
    airdrop.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 13
I haven’t seen "the conquest video".

My tale of ineptitude - October 2020 I tripped on some discarded barbed wire.
Substantial cuts to my legs - all better but a few interesting scars.
Big hole in my Paramo waterproof jacket (new sleeve installed by Paramo at their factory)

BUt there was a big dent which flattened the end of the left hand barrel of my 10x42 ELs.
My local optics dealer liaised with Swarovski and sent them to Austria for me. New barrel and new armour for both barrels installed - £300 - charged to me because it was physical damage (including very well insured postage both to and from Austria).

Essentially it was like a new pair of binoculars for £300

Actually, there are at least two videos. Linked in my post above.

How is it that the glass surfaces never seem to get impacted?

Very useful will be a report on the condition of these surfaces.

A couple of days ago, my wife tripped on a tree root and face-planted on top of our trusty Trinovid BN 10x32, on hard dry ground. Fortunately she wasn't hurt, and the BN still works normally and shows remarkably little damage, just some small scratches and a few tiny pits along the hinge area from bits of gravel. I think it might be wise to send off for a service checkup anyway, but apparently that tank-like build really pays off. I wonder how the Ultravid would have fared.

How well have other binoculars endured similar accidents?
I am glad to hear your wife is ok from her face to ground implant incident. That trip could have ended up with a broken nose or worse. You can always replace a piece of equipment but injuries from a fall to the ground can be life lasting.

I do think she actually fell very well, perhaps due to dance training in the past. But I'm not going to recommend this video to her...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back