• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opinion on three (too?) cheap <£240 used tripods for Opticron MM4 77 (1 Viewer)

Any comments on this option:
A used Manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 3 Section Carbon Fibre Tripod - £290.00
and Manfrotto 128RC Micro Fluid Head - Ex Demo £37.00
?

I can't really comment on all your options as I'm not that familiar - the Velbon D600 is quite an old and heavy design, and a friend uses the green Benro set up - seems quite decent and light if a little expensive. The Manfrotto 128RC is a great head, though superseded by the 500 series I believe.

Here are a few good options within (or even under) budget:

Used Manfrotto Carbon One 440 | 657501| London Camera Exchange -Guildford (with a head of your choice, such as this).

If you are happy to spend a little more, this will be an excellent long term solution, build quality second to none, you'd just need a head.

Keep an eye open for any of the Velbon CF series, or the Benro carbon fibre range, both are excellent value. I also picked up a Slik D3 this year, despite the design being decades old, it is a really great, affordable and stable set up - a classic for a reason!

Good luck.

I have the MM4 77 and use the Manfrotto 500 with it. A good match but I would also suggest the Sirui VA-5 as a less bulky option. HTH

Chris

The Slik D3 is a very old design, 40 years + and is not a fluid head. A Manfrotto 128 is virtually indestrictsble, smoother, but nowadays a tad bulky as Daniel suggested.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back