• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

opinions on a January CR itinerary? (1 Viewer)

tapaculo

Mildly Obsessed
This forum provided good advice on transport within Costa Rica, so I would appreciate comments on a tentative itinerary. In short, I’m going on my own, in January, and booked a long visit, about 20 days, because I wanted to cover CR pretty thoroughly (and am recently retired). I’ve birded on my own in several countries, but am joining a tour because it looked like an efficient way to do a swing to the south: 2 days each at Esquinas Lodge and Las Cruces (with a stop at Talari Mt. Lodge on the way), plus 2 each in SG de Dota and at Rancho Naturalista. So the challenge is, where to go to compliment that, and in particular find the most Central American specialties? It seems like La Selva is essential, and also probably Bosque de Paz, though expensive... and squeezing in Quebrada Gonzalez and El Tapir somewhere along the way. I’m thinking also of La Ensenada, though coastal birds are not my highest priority, because it sounds best for bellbird (in January).

I’d be grateful for any thoughts. For example, would it be smarter to go to the Monteverde area, and/or Arenal, probably instead of Bosque de Paz? Thanks a lot...

Do you have Lawson's birdfinding guide? otherwise, that would be a good place to start. I do not see anything on the NW of the country, and I am not sure how much of the real highlands you have included (for example Poas Volcano, or Irazu). Also look into Caño Negro and Laguna del Logarto Lodge.

Looking at it, I would be ready to go back tomorrow.

Niels

Yes, I'm mostly working from Lawson's book, but I've seen suggestions in BF on sites he doesn't include.* I'll check on those you mention. As for highlands, during the stay at San Gerardo de Dota, the tour will go to Cerro de la Muerte.

* (Ah, a country that has more reserves and eco-lodges than one can list! I'm also planning a trip to Indonesia... one could only wish...)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back