• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Verano BGA HD (1 Viewer)

Petrus82

I've been on a bit of a marathon recently, searching for the right binocular. I have a few models, but not one that I would describe as my "main binocular". There's only one optics shop close by and they have a good range, but not a great range. I've bought, and returned, quite a few recently in my search. I will list a give brief reasons of what I have had and returned.

Vortex Diamondback 8x42 - cumbersome with terrible focussing. Average optics.

Viking ED Pro 8x42 - Excellent image. Diopter faulty and stiff focussing.

Hawke Sapphire 8x42 - very good image. "Play" in the focussing.

Opticron Explorer 8x42 - Good image. Collimation out in the model I received.

Swarovski SLC HD 8x42 - Excellent image. Gritty focussing.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - Excellent image. Not enough eye relief.

Opticron Classic 7x36 - Great binocular but too much field curvature and inflated price (£399).

So, eventually I tried the Verano BGA HD. I liked it and then didn't like it, only to realise that it ticked all of the boxes for me and was the perfect fit for me. I've decided to write a short review.

Ergonomics

The Opticron Verano BGA HD 8x42 is an open hinge roof prism weighing in at 739g. It feels good in the hand. It has a rather large focussing wheel, which turns smoothly. It is easy to carry with one hand and I can get a good grip on it with two hands.

Build Quality

This model is made in Japan. The build quality appears to be superb with an alloy & polycarbonate double hinge body. Everything looks and feels classy. The rubber armouring is very tactile.

Stats

Field of view is 122m which is above average in my opinion. Close focus is listed as 2m but I can focus down to about 1.5, which is very useful.

Optics

The Verano HD has 'PGK' glass prisms with PC phase correction coating and Oasis prism coating. It also has Opticron F-type combination multi-coating "devised to optimise colour contrast".

The View

The Verano HD is a class act. The view is very bright and very sharp. The contrast is really quite excellent. It has a warmish view which I like. I would say it has a very large sweet spot with minimal field curvature. With a low sun late in the evening there is a tiny bit of glare, but nothing to speak of. It performs well in low light.

Conclusion

Overall I am hugely impressed with this excellent binocular. It is the only binocular that I've wanted to keep. I've been on a long journey searching for the perfect binocular. A special thanks to Typo for his advice and to Opticron's Pete Gamby for his patience!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back