• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Optolyth Vianova 7x42 thoughts? (1 Viewer)

slingworks

I came across a pair of Vianova 7x42's for sale on a forum. New condition, but used.

I'm curious if anyone has any experience with these? I can't find a single review online. albinos doesn't have any either....

I find myself interested in picking them up, but in a way I wonder if they're any good? The only recent mfg Optolyth I've owned was a late model TBS80 Florite spotting scope...And I was not very impressed with it...Finding my regular glass 80mm spotters somewhat superior.

How do they compare with lets say, Bushnell Elite 8x43's?

For those interested in the basic details:

The Optolyth site in either German or English is at: http://www.optolyth.de/english/index.html

And there's a catalogue from which I've downloaded the 2 relevant pages, along with 2 additional images from the site

John

Attachments

• ViaNova 1.jpg
    ViaNova 1.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Vianova 2.jpg
    Vianova 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 7x42.jpg
    7x42.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 8x56 & 7x42.jpg
    8x56 & 7x42.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies Gents.

Andy you're probably giving good advice. I guess I'm one of those people that want to like odd or unusual things....

I did once look through some 8x30 Alpins and I liked the view. Not sure about the build quality though?

Many moons ago I purchased a pair of Optolyth Touring roof prisms, not budget - guess mid range. I never really got anywhere as good a view as my mates Zeiss Dialyt 10 x 40. After a few years I chopped them in for some Leicas and never looked back. Surprisingly I got on well with their 30 x 80 draw tube telescope and kept it as a back up. Sadly, I think their modern day optics do not represent their past positive good name.

Slingworks (post #1),
Some years ago, I was interested in the Vianova and had a look at it in a hunting shop in Zurich that carried the bino. Neither the build quality (lousy external finish) nor the quality of the image, esp. contrast and brightness, convinced me.

I do have several other Optolyth binoculars, both roof and porro, in my collection and have to say that they tend to be too expensive for their performance. Just my 2 ct.

Canip

Catnip, thanks for your reply. Sounds like what I needed to hear, even though I was hoping not to hear it :)

I felt somewhat similar about the TBS80 Florite scope I had. While the build quality seemed somewhat ok, the optics were somewhat dark and didn't have the best image...I remember thinking at the time the small number they sold must have been the driving force behind the excessive price.

Looks like I'll probably pass on these 7x42s.

Pyrtle, I did have a pair of Leica BN 8x for a short while. I liked them quite a bit. When it comes to draw tubes I had a Swarovski CTC for a while and I thought it was somewhat lousy. Heavy, poor relief and not all that sharp. I did like that you could take it down and clean it...

Funny story on that CTC...I purchased it 2nd hand at a gunshow over in PA. When I brought it home I had it slug over my shoulder by the green leather sling and when my wife (Who's from Romania) asked what it was....I told her it was an optically guided Polish Anti-Tank Rocket....
She was skeptical until I took off the objective cover, and after a quick look she started to panic :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back