• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opus image - Japan - bunting (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
I was checking some details for Grey Bunting on Opus and have a couple of queries re. the ID of a couple of the images

Firstly, the 2nd image marked ‘female’ - many apologies if I am wrong but is this not a female Black-faced Bunting? (the heavy ‘rock pipit’ type streaking on the flanks, the head pattern, scapular pattern and very short PP cf to Grey Bunting?!)

And the 3rd image marked ‘juvenile’ male - is this not a 2cy male Grey Bunting?

I’m hoping Graham or someone can clarify please!

Last edited:

Grahame Walbridge

I was checking some details for Grey Bunting on Opus and have a couple of queries re. the ID of a couple of the images

Firstly, the 2nd image marked ‘female’ - many apologies if I am wrong but is this not a female Black-faced Bunting? (the heavy ‘rock pipit’ type streaking on the flanks, the head pattern, scapular pattern and very short PP cf to Grey Bunting?!)

And the 3rd image marked ‘juvenile’ male - is this not a 2cy male Grey Bunting?

I’m hoping Graham or someone can clarify please!
Hi Deb, the 2nd image is indeed a female Grey Bunting. Compared to Black-faced, note combination of buff-streaked mantle, pale rufous rump, brown tail, heavily streaked dirty grey-buff underparts + heavier bill.

The 3rd image is a 2cy male, juvenile having undergone a post juvenile moult in late summer.

Grahame

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! 😎
Europe
Thanks Graham,

I probably should have googled some more images and made a closer comparison before posting - (the bill difference is quite apparent now that I have) I suppose the male should be marked as first winter/2cy Spring then as it isn’t in juvenile plumage 😏

Last edited:

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Thanks guys, I've now amended the caption for the youngster to read 2 cy male on the Opus article.

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Apologies Delia for the faux pas on the female - too little sleep and definitely too little coffee 😕
No worries Deb, no need to apologise. It's good to get the confirmations anyway.

I confuse the terms juvenile/immature. However many times I read our Dictionary entry, 5 minutes later I've forgotten it all again. Then there's sub-adult, which I'm inclined to only think of in regard to gulls, when they've almost got full adult plumage LOL. I never think of little birds undergoing several plumage changes.

Sooo.... I'm inclined to always use juvenile (unless the OP has said immature). It's great to be able to change the captions to something more meaningful.

Users who are viewing this thread