• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Orange-crowned Warbler with a bit of a mask? (1 Viewer)

SueO

I have an Orange-crowned Warbler that keeps feeding on my Hummingbird feeder. I have watched it through the window without my glasses on for some time. Today, I took some pictures and was surprised to see he had a bit of a mask. I'm sure this has to be an OCW, but I've never seen one like this. Is this a common coloration and I've just never seen it?

Attachments

• ocw2.JPG
    ocw2.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 41
  • OCW.JPG
    OCW.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 38

Nutcracker

Stop Brexit!
Matted feathers soaked in flower nectar (or hummingbird feeder 'nectar' from the 1st pic!) and then picked up dirt on the sticky sugar and dried out. It'll be OK once it has a good long wash.

SueO

You mean I fell for the old, stained face trick? You're probably right. The first photo was shot through my window and cropped. I have a few more outdoor shots I'm going to look at closely to see if they show matted or dirty chin feathers more clearly. Thank-you. You'd think I would have seen enough birds to figure that out.;)

SueO

The Yellow-rumped warbler is a much neater eater.:)

Attachments

• DSC06712.JPG
    DSC06712.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 11

Users who are viewing this thread