• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orchid rosettes 2016 (1 Viewer)

Ghostly Vision

Hi all,

As part of a new project that "Young Hunter" and I are doing, we seek photographs of Orchid rosettes and plants in early bud.

A number of species overwinter as rosettes, and others are already starting to show through as a result of such a mild winter.

Ideally, it would be good to get three photo's:

1. View from directly above, but quite close so the rosette virtually fills the frame
2. Closer photo of the upperside of one leaf
3. Closer photo of the underside of one leaf

Whole rosette-only photo's are fine if you cannot do the individual leaf pictures.

When posting, please could you add date and location - site name and county if possible, if not, nearest town if the site is sensitive.

If you do wish to share the site and the pics, but not publicly, please email them directly to either of us:

[email protected] or [email protected]

Alternatively, if you are on Twitter, please share with @ukorchids and include the same information, plus the hashtag #orchidrosettes.

The end result of our project will be a complete guide to UK Orchids that includes the non-flowering stages.

All contributions will of course be fully acknowledged.

Thanks in advance - the Orchid season has started early!

"Thanks in advance - the Orchid season has started early!"

Time to start the 2016 Orchids thread then? Shouldn't be long before it all kicks off.

ILT in bud

For Sean and Mike's project, this single ILT in bud was photographed by us at Loch Shiel, Highlands - 21 August 2013.

Elaine

Attachments

• Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel  18.JPG
    Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel 18.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 131
  • Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel  21.JPG
    Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel 21.JPG
    349.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel  26.JPG
    Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel 26.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel  29.JPG
    Irish Ladys Tresses in bud Loch Shiel 29.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 103
Fen orchid (var ovata) in bud

Again for Mike and Sean, this fen orchid (ovata) was photographed at Kenfig in 2012. It is mainly in bud, with a single flower. Hope these help.

Elaine

Attachments

• Fen orchid Kenfig 05.JPG
    Fen orchid Kenfig 05.JPG
    390 KB · Views: 117
  • Fen orchid Kenfig 24.JPG
    Fen orchid Kenfig 24.JPG
    448.1 KB · Views: 120
Again for Mike and Sean, this fen orchid (ovata) was photographed at Kenfig in 2012. It is mainly in bud, with a single flower. Hope these help.

Elaine

Thanks Elaine!

Just to clarify for everyone - I'm individually producing a vegetative guide to UK orchids as part of my traineeship with the NHM which I will be finishing at the end of this month. Hopefully I will have the guide (which will be an online PDF doc) finished shortly afterwards.

This should feed nicely into Sean and I's longer term goal of producing the book Sean has described above.

Thank you to everyone who has provided me with pictures so far. If you've already sent them to me once then don't feel like you need to send them again - I'm assuming photographers won't mind images being used for both my veg guide and the forth-coming book ;)

Mike

Ideally, it would be good to get three photo's:

1. View from directly above, but quite close so the rosette virtually fills the frame
2. Closer photo of the upperside of one leaf
3. Closer photo of the underside of one leaf

I would also add that photos of the tips of the leaves are very useful as is photographs of rosettes from a side viewpoint. Some rosettes sit flat(ish) to the ground like Early Purple or Bee orchid but others sit erect with leaves oppositely paired (like the Fragrant orchids) so a top view might not be ideal to see the structure.

Basically lots of angles are useful!

Mike

I am looking forward to the new orchid book - hope it doesn't take too long to come to fruition and please don't forget to tell us when it is published.
Best wishes to you both,
Anne

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back