• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oregon, USA Hummingbird Identification? (2 Viewers)

bloveall

In early June, a little nest was constructed on our porch light fixture. The outside of the nest is decorated with lichen and moss. I think it is attached via spider webs she collected. We frequently went in and out of the door near the nest; of course, the mother hummingbird would dart away every time we did (we tried not to use the door too much!). Fortunately, she successfully raised two little guys in the nest. As of today, there is one that hasn't left the nest yet.

I have a few local bird identification books, but I can't seem to match it.

Here are several pictures of the mother, nest, and young (the last two pictures are of the young one that hasn't left yet): http://imageshack.us/g/837/81464701.jpg/

Note the little presents she left on the wall behind the light fixture, hah.

Thank you for any help!

Bloveal Hi,

For range and probability...I might suggest Rufous over Allen's, both very similar...but I believe the latter has a more South Westerly distribution in your wonderful state of Oregon, with perhaps Rufous being more widespread to the North and East. (I think I could put up with the mess to have those jewels flitting round).

cheers

These are Rufous Hummingbirds (at least assuming you're in northern Oregon, rather than the far south where the similar Allen's is possible).

Thank you very much!
My guess was either Rufous or Allen's. I think my confusion came from the amount of vibrant green shown on the Rufous' in my guides.

We are in Philomath, Oregon. Again, thank you for the quick responses!

p.s. The last little one just left the nest after I posted this thread. Testing the waters...: http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/2750/img5074o.jpg. Flying around and landing shakily.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back